jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

What do you think of the butterfly effect?

1. moneyfairy profile image62
    moneyfairyposted 3 years ago

It has been said that the flutter of a butterfly wing could create a tsunami on the otherside of the earth? Do you believe this is true? And if so think of the effect that we as individuals have on others by our actions and reactions.
    Look forward to hearing your opinions on this.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 3 years ago in reply to this

That's a common misconception and is not what the butterfly effect (chaos theory) says at all. What it says is the the effect of a butterfly flapping its wings may be involved in a chain of events that could lead to the change in the direction of a tornado. Those other events must exist as well, not just the butterfly flapping its wings.

2. 0
    Beth37posted 3 years ago

Yes, of course. Every thing we say and do... even most of the things done in the privacy of our own homes have an effect on others and eventually the whole world. Ive always said it is mothers who are creating society and they often have less connection with the outside world.

moneyfairyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thank you Beth that is so true. It starts from birth until the children are grown and walk out the doors and into the world but then one still has choices to make and those choices effect everything and everyone around them. Even just a small gesture of a smile instead of ignoring and just passing someone by can make a huge effect on how they treat others etc...etc... So if we are in a pissy mood that particular day and don't feel like being sociable and frown and groan at someone instead of just a small acknowledged smile we set off a whole shift of negativity that keeps going. It could stem from how someone was raised but ultimately as an adult we are the choice maker of our choices.

1. 0
        Beth37posted 3 years ago in reply to this

100%. I work at a store and deal with nasty customers all day... all of a sudden one especially nice one comes in and rejuvenates my spirit, giving me the fuel to be kind once again. I start out with good intentions, but you wouldn't believe how nasty, selfish and immature ppl can be. Ive never gone into a store and thrown a fit in my life... especially about something as trivial as an 89 cent head of lettuce, but ppl become irate. They think they are the only ones, but it is person after person and after a while, you paint a smile on your face when your spirit inside you feels like you've been hit by a truck. Then someone kind comes in and asks how *you are doing, tells *you to have a nice day... and you find within you a spark of hope for mankind. lol Then you pass it on.

Beth,
          Unfortunatley I do know how nasty, and selfish and mean spirited ppl can be. Most of the time those ppl that act that way are miserable and that's the only way they know how to act or react. So I choose to not give that negativity any energy but rather just say something like: "i'm sorry you are not having a good day , I do hope it get's better for you and have a nice day" Seriously life is too short to spend it being unhappy. it's just not worth it. Do you know that song Never Alone? May the Angels protect you and trouble neglect you, and heaven accept you when it's time to go home....google the lyrics they are awesome and make you feel really good!!! Inside your head you can almost laugh at how silly ppl sound getting angry over lettuce of all things smile Like that really matters in the big scheme of things LOL smile . almost like giving a speech and imagining the audience in their underwear, you can just imagine your customers somehow to make it comical for you rather than upsetting. But I know it can be draining if it is constant... You have soooo earned your good karma girl . keep smiling, it only increases your face value!!!LOL

1. 0

Arent you sweet... I do sing to myself a lot while Im working. The other night I was humming to myself and a man said "You're pretty aren't ya?" And I was like... "Thanks" and he goes, "Oh yeah, you'd better believe it." haha... And my friend kinda heard and said, "Was he weird?" and I said, "No he seemed really intelligent to me." lol... If you didn't find a happy place in your head, you'd lose it for sure. Ppl are so crazy.

So true! It's always a good thing to have your head in a neutral/positive/happy space where you take everything in but only choose to react from that neutral space as opposed to ripping someones head off verbally  even though sometimes they deserve it LOL smile they are only looking for a reaction so when you don't give them one they stop eventually smile. Coming from a place of pure joy and love ppl can't help but react positivley, anyone in the service business knows honey catches more flies than vinegar smile ( a nice ole' saying) Keep spreading the honey Miss Beth smile who knows maybe your prince charming will walk thru your doors.... smile

1. 0

I will keep all that in mind. I have to be slow to react in my head or it's just the same as reacting out loud. And like you said, every little thing we do has an effect on the world around us. Gotta stay positive.

Yeah You!!! Stay positive!!!

3. moneyfairy profile image62
    moneyfairyposted 3 years ago

I just saw this movie the other night called The Oxford Murders and the student in this movie bought up the butterfly effect at one of his favorite profesors lectures. The lecture was about absolute truths and are there any? mathmetically or otherwise? Anyway in the end of the movie after all the mureders had occured the professor said to the student what do you think of your butterfly effect now....trying to imply that by the actions of the student he might have set off a chain of events that could quite possibly have caused some of the murders. So it makes one wonder what little thing you might have said or done to have created some outcome desirable or not.

working