jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Want to see Saturn live? You can do so here. 7/19/13

1. paradigmsearch profile image86
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_-7IY3ERTg#at=985

Of course there's that light traveling thing...

2. paradigmsearch profile image86

922 watching now

3. paradigmsearch profile image86

"At the exact time the Cassini spacecraft is snapping pics of Earth, Slooh will be snapping images of Saturn - live and in true color - with live broadcast team."

NEVERMIND, it just ended. I was lucky to stumble upon that. Another bit of history.

1. Kathryn Stratford profile image91
      Kathryn Stratfordposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It must have been cool to see it live! I keep missing the posts you make here, until it is too late. You keep stumbling into really cool videos!

4. Greekgeek profile image98
    Greekgeekposted 4 years ago

Aww man, sorry I missed it. Today was the day, and I totally forgot. The Bad Astronomy blog (terribly misnamed) mentioned this a few weeks ago.

But thanks for the reminder. Saturn's rings are tipped towards us nicely right now, so I need to take some more crummy photos with my lousy backyard setup. (Cassini, it aint.)

Cassini has taken some truly amazing photos; it's worth browsing the site.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You're right - Saturn's rings are just right.  We looked through a 25" scope at a small observatory a week or so ago; beautiful!  It's not Cassini, either, but we could see the Cassini division. smile

5. Greekgeek profile image98
    Greekgeekposted 4 years ago

OoooooOOO I'm jealous. smile Was that at an observatory, and if so, where?

i have a wonderful 20-year-old backpacking scope, a Televue Pronto. It will just barely resolve the two main cloud bands on Jupiter, but it's not strong enough to resolve any details on Saturn, just a very bright miniature cutout of the planet + rings.

My favorite thing to do with it, oddly enough, is to go out and peer at sunspots. I rigged up a solar filter out of #17 mylar and -- I kid you not -- a margarine tub for last year's annular eclipse and Venus crossing, and it works like a charm, so I've been playing with solar photography.

...and for today's "pale blue dot" photo op, I realize that it probably snapped Earth while I was taking the cat to the vet. I find it oddly appropriate that my cat managed to get into the picture.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

There is a small observatory about 50 miles from me that is opened to the public on weekends, a campground nearby.  Bruneau Dunes, it is called, and what are listed as the tallest sand dunes in North America are there as well, a remnant of the Bonneville Flood 12,000 years ago.  We camp there every spring - it is in the desert and summertime is far too hot to enjoy.

They have the 25 incher in a typical observatory building plus several smaller scopes and a giant pair of naval binoculars they set up in the courtyard (followed the space station with those once, which was cool).  In addition there is a slide show and lecture just before dark; this year it was on dark matter, dark energy and black holes.  Most interesting.  Very often, the astronomical society in the area shows up as well, with their own private scopes that the public can look through.  Happens every Friday and Saturday nights from spring through fall. 

This time it was cloudy right at dark, and they turned the big scope on the moon for lack of anything else, or least on a small portion of the moon.  At the edge you could see that it was jagged, not a smooth circle, from the mountains and craters.  Pretty neat.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8215461_f248.jpg

working