jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

There are some children who are more developmentally and mentally

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

advanced and mature than other children.  THESE are THE CHILDREN who are more comfortable with older children and adults than with children their own ages whom they find to be quite insufferable and immature. 

Then THERE are OTHER CHILDREN who are comforotable interfacing with children their own ages and younger.  Such children may not possess the prerequisite developmental and mental maturity to interface with same age peers. They are oftentimes less developmentally and mentally advanced than their same age counterparts.

What was YOUR experience as a child? As a child, were YOU more comfortable interfacing with older children and adults or were YOU more comfortable interfacing with same age and younger children?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image84
      Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years ago in reply to this

uh oh, Gm...now at my age, I interface best with young children. What does this mean? Actually as a young girl I was petrified of teachers and anyone in authority. Later at 14, I was afraid of girls my age. Then when I was an older teen, I was afraid of anyone over 30. Later I developed a fear of older women especially those in authority.  Now I am only afraid of anyone in authority (especially bosses) and adults under 30 ! lol.
      I must have a bad case of arrested development. What is your conclusion?

1. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Not necessarily.  Some children, highly developed and highly intelligent, are quite comfortable only associating with younger children.  They are psychologically geared that way.  They feel that that younger children will accept them more and not judge them as harshly as their same age peers. They feel that younger children are more sincere innocent, and free of the games of their same age peers.

Then there are other children who MAY NOT be developmentally mature as their same aged peers, feeling ill at ease or uncomfortable with such peers.  They only feel comfortable associating with younger children;somehow, same aged peers are threatening to them either psychologically, mentally, or emotionally. They feel out of water and out of place interfacing with same aged peers.  It is all based upon the individual child's composition and psychology in addition to the home environment and also a child's respective birth order.  Everything is interrelated and relative.

As a child, I knew such children in my neighborhood and school, they were the MOST comfortable  associating and interfacing with younger children.   Some were less advanced developmentally, mentally, and emotionally than their same age peers while others were quite highly intelligent and normative developmentally, mentally, and emotionally.  Then, there are others who felt threatened and quite unsure of themselves  so they only associated and interfaced with younger children in order to assert their power, authority, and dominance.  They know that they could not get away with such behavior with same aged peers and/or older children who would not tolerate such behavior.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image84
          Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I was born first, so maybe I am more comfortable feeling in a position of dominance or authority or ... power.  hmmm.  I ruled my brothers until they got bigger than me. We baby boomers are so in touch with our childhoods... still.