you could make 1 global change to education what would it be and why?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (38 posts)
  1. TravelMonkey profile image60
    TravelMonkeyposted 15 years ago

Mine would be that everyone gets one.

2. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

That girls all over the world would get an adequate education--more than they get in some parts of the world--because I believe it to be key to many cultural iniquities.

3. Teresa McGurk profile image60
    Teresa McGurkposted 15 years ago

one thing?

just one thing. . .

. . . it would be completely free.  No hidden taxes or fees.  Free. 
    For everyone.  Everywhere.  At any level. 

So that it would be so taken for granted that no one could imagine not having an education; some young folk could finish school or take years off and then go back -- it would be something people could do all their lives, if they wanted to --

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You have my vote there, Teresa--  But I was thinking I was being selfish with wishing that one, so I refrained from saying it.  Double MFA--there ya go...

1. Teresa McGurk profile image60
        Teresa McGurkposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Wouldn't it be cool, though?

2. tksensei profile image60
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think that would be as positive as your ideal.

4. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

That education books be made available free to all people to teach their children. smile

5. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Separate it from government smile

1. RGraf profile image88
      RGrafposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree.  Get the politics out of it and let real educators who have the gift of teaching administer it.

6. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 15 years ago

Make it so the goal of the public education system is to provide an education.

7. profile image0
    RFoxposted 15 years ago

It was said before but a free education to all is important. Imagine if University was free.

In some countries it is and the standard of living and education levels of the general population are excellent.

It should be free!!

1. profile image0

Yes.  Agree, obviously.  But then it would have to be government funded completely and certain people in the U.S. would b*tch enormously.  Oh--those who prefer that education as it stands today go the way of privatization.

2. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Talking about USSR Rachelle? wink

8. TheMoneyGuy profile image67
    TheMoneyGuyposted 15 years ago

Education is free to those that want it.  So my wish is that it would never be compulsory so that only those who want it can get it when they are ready to seek it.

TMG

1. profile image0

Yeah, but I think some of us are talking about University, TMG...

It can be an addicting thing--lol--or actually, some of us are drawn to it.  I would have 2 MFA's right now if I had money or choice...  I planned on it, I just didn't quite make it.  An M.A. & 3/4. lol.

1. TheMoneyGuy profile image67
        TheMoneyGuyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I hear you and knew that, but was being a bit of a butt!!

TMG

2. TravelMonkey profile image60
      TravelMonkeyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Would you not think people may abuse the system, they could use it as a method to milk more benefits from the state?

9. TheMoneyGuy profile image67
    TheMoneyGuyposted 15 years ago

ON Purpose!!!

1. profile image0

Why???  Didn't I agree with you enough on your child support hub??!

I just don't get these devil's advocate types, smile.

BTW, what time is it in CA?  Same as AZ?  Or an hour behind... ?  I forget.

It is 1141 in California so an hour behind, I am in Chicago at the moment so I am an hour ahead.  So yes I should be in bed.  Bed being tired helps you be a better devils advocate.  LOL

I replied to your comment I gave you superhero status in fact.  :-)

TMG

1. profile image0

That IS late.  Seems like you travel around a lot, selling ? ....Nuclear solutions?  lol

I gotta go to bed now.  Thanks for the status--well, it is my dad, you know.  smile

Nuclear Solutions.  I don't sell, I am to good at it and I am easily brought to the darkside every time I get involved in that field.  Nope, I try to solve problems now not create them. :-)

TMG

1. profile image0

Darkside?  You mean now you're being a financial advisor only...

???
                I mean I am not doing any paid Financial Advising, I only do that for free.  I get paid to solve Nuclear problems.  smile 

I am in Illinois because this is the Exelon hub for lack of a better dexcription.

TMG

10. Nickny79 profile image67
    Nickny79posted 15 years ago

Give local communities exclusive control and exclusive responsibility for their schools.

11. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

A new hubber with a great education oriented hub on Johnathan Kozol, an educational activist who emphasizes creativity and the arts and writes about inner city schools:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Jonathan-Kozol- … ent=861655

12. ITTP profile image60
    ITTPposted 15 years ago

Ensure that every high school student is encouraged to fast-track develop in areas of education which they excel/ are interested in and to ensure that every high school student heading to University is making the correct choice of study subject. The planet could be so better developed!

1. profile image0
      MBKLposted 15 years agoin reply to this

This makes an enormous amount of sense.  President Obama should consult you in his efforts to address the woes of our education system.

13. profile image0
    MBKLposted 15 years ago

I too would love to see an end to compulsory education.  I think it would end the need for inappropriate government controls.  But if that can't happen, then I want schools to be able to release all troubled children to their parents to be home schooled until such time that the children are able to sit through an entire school day without disrupting others (or causing harm) and acutally learn somehting.  If the parents are incapable of helping the children, then turn the troubled children over to the state for intervention.  I bet that would put a speedy end to compulsory education.

14. pauljorg profile image60
    pauljorgposted 15 years ago

Education needs to be streamlined so you're learning something that is actually applicable to your life goals.  In university I had to take all these elective courses that had no relation to my goals, and I don't remember a thing from those courses. If I spend a week reading one book on the subject now, I'll learn far more about the subject than I did back then.

Even in courses for my major, we wasted a lot of time on fluffy discussions rather than getting down to business and actually doing something. Again, reading one good book related to my major today would teach me just as much about the subject area as my 4 year uni degree. I think this has to do with the instructor doing whatever is interesting for themselves, rather than what is best for the student (ie. teaching a foundation then building upon it).

I really felt that university is a place for people to fart around and "find themselves" rather than learn important skills. Maybe that only applies to liberal arts I guess.

As for K-12 schools, I really believe that they just teach kids to be good employees and good consumers. I think the assumption is that the entrepreneurs will naturally rise above the pack without our help, but that's flawed thinking because their abilities need to be developed. Financial intelligence should also be a focus, which it is not at all.

I'm a certified teacher from Canada, so that's where my impressions come from.

15. AnneMH profile image61
    AnneMHposted 15 years ago

I think more unique local schools with a common structure of national goals would be a great move. So when we say an A in algebra we mean the same standard in all the states. It is horrible how some states graduate students with so much less than others.

However as a teacher with a horrible first year there needs to be a way to deal with kids who are bringing huge life issues to school, acting them out and affecting everyone. They deserve their education, I know it is easy to say that all deserve an education even if they are poor but not many people actually work with these students and deal with issues like attention and violence in the classroom. It is an issue I am mentally working out so I do not have all the answers now. It is just difficult to see that students in poverty schools have to manage a lot more extreme behavior in their classroom whether or not they are creating the extreme behavior.

16. profile image57
    sterlingphsposted 15 years ago

If I could make a change to UK or GLOBAL education it would be that, in the UK, the present 'around 50% success rate'( Whole of UK average) be seen as unacceptable and that higher standards be demanded by parents and taxpayers alike ( if teachers pensions were performance based and based on these figures they would spend the majority of their time on strike as the sole remaining unquartered unions in the UK.)
    However this is a pipe dream because, as we all know ,the future of our children comes a poor third to the salary, welfare and social position of the pro's we cannot do without!

17. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
    GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years ago

To be honest, there's not much I could say except for giving schools access to more material and money.

The school system isn't broken, rather society at large has drifted into decay. I think we need to strengthen our families and our community, then ask how the village should raise a child.

18. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
    GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years ago

Exactly.

Actually, just from the Federal (if you're in the States, anyway.) State law, community law..these are the people that know what needs to be done!

1. Specificity profile image60
      Specificityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'll second that!  People in Tennesee have no business telling people in Wisconsin what to teach their kids.

19. Etiquette121 profile image58
    Etiquette121posted 15 years ago

Good Etiquette should be part of education starting in primary schools until you leave education - to include good manners along with table manners, speech, dress and grooming, deportment. Rewarding children with good behaviour and healthy eating awards. Working with charities or the local communities in educational hours.

20. UnschoolingPDX profile image60
    UnschoolingPDXposted 15 years ago

I believe every child should have the right to learn at his own pace. If he chooses to study a subject longer than the 50 minute class period, so be it. Work with the child, not against him. This would change education significantly, and it would keep the child's interest high.

21. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

Here in Ireland all children even the very young, have lots of homework.........  All parents complain about it, and some of the little ones are still going with their homework when they should be asleep.

They all have a great deal of fun at school, but I think if they did a little more of the work at school, and just a little less fun they would have more fun at home!!!!!!!

children finish school at 1.30 here and older ones 2.30.... I go in to school to help voluntarily, and I also look after children after school, and fight with them to do their homework.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)