jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

Who was your very worst teacher in elementary and/or junior high school?  What characteristics made this teacher stand out in the worst way?  How did this teacher effect you either for the positive or the negative?

1. brandymmiller profile image60
      brandymmillerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

My hands down worst teacher ever was my 2nd grade teacher Mrs. Strickland. She would literally stand at the front of the class screaming and ranting each morning about how ungrateful we children were for all the sacrifices she was making to teach us, and how she had to drive an old car because she couldn't afford to buy a newer one.  Once, when I struggled with understanding the concept in math, she screamed at me about how it was my fault for not understanding and sent me out into the hallway.  She told me if the principal came by, I could explain to him why I was there - except that I didn't understand what I'd done wrong!  It's largely because of her that math became my least favorite subject and the one that I struggled with the most.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

Honestly the only strong memories I have at this point are for the few teachers who were good.  Like the chemistry teacher who sat me down and convinced me I was smart and could go to university, and that once there I should study what I was most excited about (although he was sad that was not chemistry).

3. ChristinS profile image93
    ChristinSposted 2 years ago

My fourth grade teacher who told my mother "She's just weird" - Of course at that age, you believe adults know what they are talking about and that "weird" is somehow a bad thing.  Today, I am thankful to be a bit "odd" but at the time, she always treated me like some sort of freak.  My mother, instead of standing up to her, started harping on me to act more "normal".  whatever that means lol.

I liked to daydream a lot in class when I was bored and I think the teacher took offense to the fact that I must have found her awfully uninteresting.  She wasn't a very good teacher for a variety of reasons, that's just the one that stood out.  She really was boring - yawn.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Oh DEAR, children should be embraced for WHOM they are, not be made to FIT IN.  I find that 'FITTING IN' is so OVERRATED.