jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Rationality and logic

1. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 2 years ago

Please give me some examples of books or websites where I can study rational /logical thinking. I want to join the real world now.

Books are good, but websites would be better, as I have a limited income, and can't really afford to buy many books. Although titles would be good, so I can at least read about them.

Thanks for all of your patience, you guys, with my constant weirdness and flip/flopping on these things.

2. janesix profile image60

I am reading names like Kant and Francis Bacon. Are these good writers to start with? Or something more modern?

3. janesix profile image60

reason: the power of the mind to think, understand, and form judgments by a process of logic.

rationality: the quality or state of being reasonable, based on facts or reason

logic: reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity

validity:  quality of being logically or factually sound; soundness or cogency

The definitions seem kind of circular. Can some one decipher it for me? Or give better, more understandable definitions?

(Editing to add more definitions, for my personal clarification.)

Cogency: the quality or state of being convincing or persuasive

Soundness: competent, sensible, or valid

Fact: a thing that is indisputable

so, logic is this:

LOGIC: ability to think, understand, and form judgments, assessed according to strict principles based on indisputable things, that are sensible and convincing.

4. janesix profile image60

"Deduction is a form of reasoning in which a conclusion follows necessarily from the stated premises."

Is deductive reasoning the only infallible type of reasoning?

All the other types appear to have at least some amount of probability or likelihood factored in. Deductive reasoning seems to be the only type that is exact.

1. A Troubled Man profile image61
      A Troubled Manposted 2 years ago

If you can find a nearby community college or some other learning facility, sign up for a critical thinking course. You will not regret it. smile

1. janesix profile image60
        janesixposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I would love to, but can't really afford it. I have a very limited income.

1. A Troubled Man profile image61
          A Troubled Manposted 2 years ago in reply to this

There are free online courses, but it would be much better to take a course in order to interact with others.

2. bottlerocketeer profile image60
          bottlerocketeerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

My best suggestion would be to look at MIT open courseware.  They offer free video lectures on a wide variety of topics.  Your best bet would probably be to look under the Mathematics or Philosophy Departments though.  Good Luck!

working