jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (6 posts)

Second law of thermodynamics

1. janesix profile image61
    janesixposted 2 years ago

"in all energy exchanges, if no energy enters or leaves the system, the potential energy of the state will always be less than that of the initial state."

What does that mean, really?

How is it possible to even know that?

There is only one closed system, the Universe as a whole. Is this law true for the Universe as a whole?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

If the universe is a closed system (where do black holes go?) then it is true for the universe.

janesixposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I don't really know anything about black holes. Do you think there are multiple, connected universes, maybe?

1. A Troubled Man profile image61
          A Troubled Manposted 2 years ago in reply to this

They are collapsed stars that have more than a certain amount of mass to them, thus when they collapse, gravity takes over and is so intense, nothing is able to escape it's gravitational field, including light, hence the term, "black" hole.

There is no evidence for that, but there is a whole lot math associated with it.

janesixposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Too much math for me. I can't wrap my brain around that. So I try to just look at things in a theoretical kind of way.

Thanks for answering my questions, I appreciate it. I do watch videos on higher sciences that I don't understand, but things like black holes are still incomprehensible to me.

2. A Troubled Man profile image61
      A Troubled Manposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That's entropy, not an easy thing to understand without a whole lot of understanding other physical laws.

Pretty much, unless there is some external forces beyond our universe influencing it some way. If not, then our universe will eventually reach maximum entropy, which has been termed, "Heat Death".

working