jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)

About fields and energy

1. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 23 months ago

I am reading about physics, and I have a question about something I read:

"There's one field for each type of particle. So one field for all photons in the universe, one field for all electrons, and so on. And these fields exist everywhere.

To "extract" a particle from a field, you need to give the field energy. If you give it enough energy, the field will go to a higher energy state. These states are what we interpret as particles."

Can a "field" exist without energy?

janesixposted 23 months ago in reply to this

I hope someone knows. I asked this on another forum and got a bunch of conflicting answers.

Is a field something that is a thing that can exist without particles or energy?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image84
        Kathryn L Hillposted 23 months ago in reply to this

the question is... is the field made of matter?

Matter has volume and mass. I'm not sure if a field has volume and mass.

Not even sure if a field is a physical thing. That's what I'm tryin g to figure out.

Is the field made of energy?

I don't know. It seems to be the field that gives structure though.

"The fact that the electromagnetic field can possess momentum and energy makes it very real... a particle makes a field, and a field acts on another particle, and the field has such familiar properties as energy content and momentum, just as particles can have."

In practice, the strength of most fields has been found to diminish with distance to the point of being undetectable. For instance the strength of many relevant classical fields, like the gravitational field in Newton's theory of gravity or the electrostatic field in classical electromagnetism, is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source (i.e. they follow the Gauss's law). One consequence is that the Earth's gravitational field quickly becomes undetectable on cosmic scales.
                Wikipedia
                If this does not help, why not?

I don't trust Wikipedia. I've read false information there before. I can't afford books, so I'm stuck with learning from the internet. Everything I read, it seems, says something different. I'm just trying to figure out the basics, so I can figure out where to go from here.

Some sources say energy is a physical thing, some say it is only the ability to do work. Etc.

My brother, who has a Masters in Electrical Engineering, worked at IBM, says that Dark Matter is God. LOL!

2. janesix profile image59

Maybe Slarty will come by....

3. profile image59
    rvchristoposted 23 months ago

great

4. janesix profile image59

There are no particles, there are only fields

http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1204/1204.4616.pdf

"As this paper shows, experiment and
    theory imply unbounded fields, not bounded particles, are fundamental. This is
    especially clear for relativistic systems, implying it's also true of non-relativistic
    systems. Particles are epiphenomena arising from fields"

working