Space... what is it?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

Okay, I admit I am an advocate of the big bang theory.  It sounds as close as we can possibly come so far to how the Universe was formed, created, made, whatever.

My question is... if everything that came into existence, every element needed to form the other elements and particles and whatever.

Well, what was this unbelievably tiny "cell" (for lack of better word)sitting in?  For an explosion to happen wouldn't there need to be something for everything to explode into (the Universe)?

Or let me put it like this; Maybe the Big Bang is not responsible for the Universe because outside what we call the Universe was something else. 

-no Mark,not saying a magical god lol-

But something else.  It could be possible, (which I fancy the idea) that what we consider our Universe is but another paradox Universe or A Universal Black hole.

Scientist say when explaining the theory... In the beginning there was complete darkness and POW! 

In my creative and imaginative mind I picture a black hole, as explained today, a place so powerfully dense that no even light can escape its gravitational pull.

I picture being on the other side of a black hole and see the light cone come into from darkness...

I wonder how thin the line is between light and dark and often imagine that the light doesn't just vanish into the unknown but that is is immediately (warped)...

Like in the movie Event Horizon, space just folds, randomly or at will ( I don't know)... in which case the light that seemingly vanishes into the darkness immediately appears somewhere else in the Universe giving the illusion that it is expanding when really it could be that it is neither expanding or collapsing.

Just moving continuously without ends, reshaping, reforming, making, shedding... and the big bang is just one light particle that hit the black wall and POW! lol

Oh and just for good argument sake lol- what makes anyone believe that Earth cannot be the center of the Universe?  I wonder because well... if you can't find the end of the Universe or the beginning and have not the slightest idea of which way is right or left or up or down etc... what would the idea that it is not be gauged on? 

Imagine if it was?

1. mohitmisra profile image61
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"The endless expanse in front of us all,
      Is as alive as the closet insect to crawl." smile

Black holes are supposed to be entrances to another dimension.

1. webismine profile image58
        webismineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What?

Entrances to another dimension.Make sense to me as its similar in spirituality, you go into the point and come out in another dimension. smile

1. webismine profile image58
            webismineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh ok

2. profile image0
            sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

quantum physics. big_smile

one of the theories by science smile

2. MattUSAF2525 profile image60
    MattUSAF2525posted 14 years ago

Makes you think that other planets just might be as evolved as ours. As infinite as all of space is, just thinking about "never ending" gives me a headache. To know that there are no boundaries..just on and on and on. But for me to think that all of a sudden "POW" there it is. No force can create itself.

3. Pete Maida profile image61
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

There are many theories surrounding the Big Bang.  I guess what is popular now is that the Big Bang wasn't the beginning but just the start of another cycle.
    For a long time the idea of an oscillating universe wouldn't fir because there didn't seem to be enough matter to slow the rate in which the galaxies a moving away from each other.  Now that dark matter and dark energy have been identified scientist believe that the universe will one day collapse on itself and start all over again.
    There is another idea that a vast maelstrom of cosmic matter and energy both light and dark existing in multidimensional space and when the conditions are right a tiny part of will collapse and produce a universe in the dimensions that we can perceive.  Check out the book "A View from the Center of the Universe".  It goes through it and makes understandable for non-scientists like me.

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hmmm, that actually sounds quite interesting.  I think I will check it out.  Thanks.

4. roastedpinebark profile image60
    roastedpinebarkposted 14 years ago

I can see the process repeating over and over as well, like picturing a series of dots spreading farther and farther apart until they start to progress closer and closer, into one superdence particle.  I actually thought it was interesting to think of the Earth being the center of the galaxy.  What if we applied this to religious views as well...

Let's say that there are other worlds inhabited by humans, all created by a Heavenly Being.  Genesis reveals that Adam is the first man placed on our planet, so maybe the Earth could have been chosen as the center of the universe.

Even above that, Jesus Christ died on our planet.  Christ came to redeem all mankind, so what about inhabitants of the theoretical other planets?  Christ came to ours, the Earth is special in some way then, is it not?  Maybe we really do live in the center of the universe,lol.  Thanks for reading some of my not-so-knowledgeable thoughts.

5. reggieTull profile image60
    reggieTullposted 14 years ago

Interesting line of thinking here.  As for the oscillation of the universe, what comes to mind is the sea and the tides.  Nature is full of repeating patterns. But I would rather write about the possibility of the Earth being the center of the universe.  To have a center there has to be a fixed shape.  It is easier to think of the Sun as the center of our solar system since distances remain relatively fixed though our whole solar system is moving with the expansion of the universe.  We know our moon is moving away from the Earth.  Possibly due to the constant swell - there is no center to the universe or possibly changing centers based on an instance in time.

Just some Easter thoughts smile

1. Pete Maida profile image61
      Pete Maidaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In the book "A View from the Center of the Universe" it describes a more of a figurative center than a literal center.  It looks at many things such as the size of a living organism and how that relates to it being sentient.  In sizes from the very large to the very small sentient life appears to only be possible in a very small part of the scale; right at its center.  This of course is based on our present understanding of the requirements for sentient life.  This is one of several examples of how we are in the center of existance.  The book makes no claims on the Earth itself holding a particular place of importance in the universe.

6. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 14 years ago

"In sizes from the very large to the very small sentient life appears to only be possible in a very small part of the scale; right at its center."
    You mean between an atom and a galaxy?

7. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
    GeneriqueMediaposted 14 years ago

Actually, space may well be finite. We can only see so far...granted, there's hundreds of thousands of galaxies known to us at this point.

And I'm pretty dern sure if we've not been visited already its only a matter of time.

Though, as much as I am into UFOs/USOs and the likes I still can't quite tell of there ours or someone elses.

And although space may be finite, dimensions are infinite. The cat is dead. The cat is not dead. wink

G|M

8. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

I sometimes wonder if the "brain chemicals, or thoughts" we release into the world do somehow manifest in the Universe in some very strange dimensional accumulation of the smallest of brain matter, or brain wave lengths or that the radical star formation is not somehow attached to the human soul...

Possibly (given to multitudes of space)each person is it's own star, once gone from the Earth the spirit of the soul manifest in its own place out in the Universe.  Our internal light dead in the body but alive again in Space.

-whimsical thoughts I know but imagine if it were true?-

9. Pete Maida profile image61
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

Black holes are the result of the collapse of a very dense star. The intense gravity well prevents light from escaping.  What happens inside is speculation.  I don't know if something spiritual can happen after the collapse but the origin of a black hole isn't any more spiritual than my old Camry in the garage.

Was relating it with spirituality.In spirituality the door to the other dimension is a point-"when thy eye be single"-Jesus smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)