jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Tommy Sotomayor: Slavery Was A Choice for African Americans

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 15 months ago

In a recent broadcast, radio host/commentator Tommy Sotomayor, a Black American, indicated that African-Americans chose to be enslaved by the European colonists.  Mr. Sotomayor went as far to state that if African Americans fought, they would not have been enslaved.  He asserted that other races, ethnicities, and nations resisted oppression and enslavement.  He even added that the Jewish Holocaust was a choice.  He maintained that Jews could have prevented the Holocaust if they have fought more.  Mr. Sotomayor it seems is clueless regarding the mechanism of powerlessness and oppression.  Africans were overwhelmed and taken hostage by a foreign culture and Jews were simply outnumbered in Europe.  What IS your take on this preposterous theory promulgated by Mr. Sotomayor.

1. Live to Learn profile image81
      Live to Learnposted 15 months ago in reply to this

I do see where he is coming from. One does wonder why some allow themselves to be oppressed. I saw a post the other day where I guy was attempting to elicit sympathy for a refugee. Yet I did wonder why, instead of fleeing, that person didn't stand up and be willing to die, if necessary, to fight for their home and their freedom.

But I also think you are correct. There are many factors involved in oppression and even when one is willing to fight one can lose and end up in the same predicament they would have had they not fought. I would think the superior forces of the whites, what with guns and cannons etc. would have made those destined for slavery slaves nonetheless. I would think the Holocaust would have still happened.

2. calculus-geometry profile image85
      calculus-geometryposted 15 months ago in reply to this

A lot of nonsense can be explained with this simple mathematical formula:

crazy opinions
      public platform

3. IslandBites profile image86
      IslandBitesposted 15 months ago in reply to this

Tommy "Mr Controversy" Sotomayor

No controversy; no publicity. No publicitý; no name, no money.

4. Say Yes To Life profile image88
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 15 months ago in reply to this

I believe the best way to deal with these victim-blaming monsters is to put them in the place of the oppressed.  The second best way is to TOTALLY ignore them.  He may have said that to attract attention; either don't give him what he wants, or give him a negative version of it.

5. BuddiNsense profile image59
      BuddiNsenseposted 15 months ago in reply to this

In case of Africans he has a point, though obviously, he didn't think of it.
      If the Africans were United they wouldn't have been made slaves, at least to this extent. A good number of times, it was their own kings and "nobles" that captured and sold them as slaves for a profit, usually including arms.

2. realtalk247 profile image71
    realtalk247posted 15 months ago

Tommy Sotomayor has issues.