jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Should there be mandatory testing for parenthood to test the

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 15 months ago

educational, emotional, financial, intellectual, and psychological preparedness and maturity of couples before they become parents?  Should parenthood be licensed?  Also should there be mandatory birth control mandates, even sterilization to insure that couples have the amount of children to give the latter myriad advantages and opportunities beyond the bare rudiments of struggle and survival modes?

1. Ana Kolomeka profile image83
      Ana Kolomekaposted 14 months ago in reply to this

With the proliferation of idiots having babies with no thought as to how to take care of them, I see your point.  However, I doubt very much that would work.  What would the government do, hunt down the idiots and force them to have an abortion?  What if the idiots go into hiding?
      I think if the government is going to force anything, it should be a FULL EDUCATION  on birth control and child rearing.  It may not eradicate the problem, but it should greatly reduce it.  I was blessed with this education, and was able to make wise choices from it.  While some of my high school classmates did not do so well, no one got knocked up.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 15 months ago

Given that half of US pregnancies are unplanned, I don't see that working.

3. chuckandus6 profile image54
    chuckandus6posted 14 months ago

What would be the next step,organized love making through a laboratory, this idea could go very wrong.Next thing would be only allowing certain people to fall in love that are completely suitable.
    I think this is completely stripping people of the rights as a human being.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image84
    Kathryn L Hillposted 14 months ago

I believe God plays it by ear.
    That is a great example for us all.

We can only do the best we can with the awareness we have achieved on an individual level.
    However, I wish people would take child raising more seriously. We really need an increase in awareness in this area and fast.
    The best ability for parents to have is common sense.
    That's not so hard!

5. peeples profile image88
    peeplesposted 14 months ago

NO!!! Not because of any belief that some god has it better planned, not because I don't value the lives of children, but because I value living with as little government intrusion as possible. If anything we need less government not more. Why don't we just start taking care of the children who are here and need help, making abortions easier to access and afford, and making education easier to achieve.
    Plenty of parents are financially prepared when they give birth and run into issues with income as time passes.
    Also who would determine if a parent is emotionally capable of providing for a child? Many people with mental illness are the same people who are intellectually superior than many. So who gets to determine if someone is capable of parenting well?
    I just see more harm than good. I will pass on living in a country where the government starts imposing pregnancy rights when they can't even figure out how to take care of the children already sitting in foster care!

6. LongTimeMother profile image97
    LongTimeMotherposted 14 months ago

ROFL. Who exactly would be empowered to decide whether or not couples met the criteria of educational, emotional, financial, intellectual, and psychological preparedness and maturity?

And who would the kids sue if their parents didn't perform as well as they were supposed to?

Your court system would be overloaded because there's also the parents who might seek compensation if it turns out they're not confident, effective parents - despite being given the official green light.

That kind of proposal could bankrupt an economy pretty quickly ... putting everyone into struggle and survival mode!