jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)

The 1960s

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 14 months ago

To Liberals and Progressives, the 1960s was the time of reforms for the betterment of humanity began.  They heralded the 1960s because old barriers were questioned and subsequently broken down and even done away with.  Liberals and Progressives saw the 1960s as the beginning of a new and better era for all concerned.   However, Conservatives viewed the 1960s as the harbinger for moral decay.  To them, the 1960s was the beginning of the end of an era which they have known and loved.  They felt that the 1960s was the beginning of a society which will become increasingly corrupt, immoral, even decadent.   Your thoughts on the 1960s

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image85
      Kathryn L Hillposted 14 months ago in reply to this

where are your stats?

I was twelve in 1966.
        Sixth graders were called scrubs because at the end of the school year they were scrubbed with lipstick by rowdy older boys.
        "Michelle" by the Beatles came out the year before. I was embarrassed to admit I loved that song.
        In Jr. High, my cool art teacher played the White Album constantly. I was shocked by "Back in the USSR."
        But I liked the music.
        Especially three years later.
        Our moms, brothers and friends went to the beach every chance we could get during summers in the 60's  We girls laid out on towels with baby oil all over us trying to get tanned. We rarely burned even though we wore two piece suits. "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Dot Bikini" came out in 1960. It was still playing on AM radio five or six years later. We secretly wanted one.
        Those were sunny, smoggy days here in So Cal.
        I never saw any signs of moral decay.
        Maybe our parents did, but my mother was busy working at the Y and serving dinner every single night. My Dad went to work every day as an accountant at Film Effects where they worked on sets for Star Trek. I remember feeling sorry for him having to go to work EVERY DAY!
        Maybe the rock 'n rollers came on a little strong, but honestly: Most of us were just having fun.
        Unlike today.
        What specific events were you thinking of gmwilliams?
        What specific events did you experience, witness or remember?
        Since you were twelve in 1966, as well. smile

1. Michelle-The Beatles

2. Brian Hyland - Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini

2. Credence2 profile image85
      Credence2posted 14 months ago in reply to this

Them were the days, the sixties were welcome because all the barriers that were broken needed to be.

The 1950's was a pressure cooker waiting to explode and in the sixties, it did.

The sixties as we knew them began on November 22, 1963 and concluded  in January 1973 with the Nixon ending the draft.

Such harrowing times not again to be repeated. I am proud to say that I grew up during that most interesting decade.

The music, the art and culture, guns and butter, etc. Is it no wonder that the conservatives blame this period for everything. The revolution in the 1960's was not going to be denied, it was coming, the unfinished business and hypocrisies in American life now brought front and center.

1960 was unrecognizable by 1969. Hippies, black power, SDS, SNCC, counter culture and any number of terms that became part of the American lexicon.

The Earth shaken apart and brought back together, a decade of assassinations, 'The Right Stuff' and lunar daring do. America begins to grow out of its infancy and naivete.

Yep, a great topic!

1. gmwilliams profile image86
        gmwilliamsposted 14 months ago in reply to this

I was a child, preteen, and young teen in the 1960s.  The 1960s were a time of promise and potential.  I, for one, thought anything and everything were possible and can be achieved.  Things really looked up.  Then.......and yes, then.........John was shot then Martin and .......Robert.  1968 became such a dark time........the music was dying..............then 1969, yet another fun time.........then the 60s was gone........ALAS ......ALAS....

3. Say Yes To Life profile image87
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 14 months ago in reply to this

I was born in 1960, so I was too young to take part.  However, the decade has always fascinated me.  It was the golden age of Rock and Roll.  My brother, who is 2 1/2 years older than me, was also too young to take part, but he had a band when he was in the 7th grade.  The drummer was a guy named Greg Sudmeier.  You may recognize his name, because he went on to become a professional studio musician.  He used to give my brother this fabulous music that was considered underground in those days; Traffic, Led Zeppelin, Rare Earth, and Paul McCartney's first solo records.  I could only observe, though Greg once made a statement I could design the band's record label (LOL!)
      I have the DVD "Woodstock"; my brother gave it to me as a birthday present.  I couldn't have attended, being only an 8 year old ghetto kid when it happened, and not even knowing about it until 2 years after it occurred.  But I can enjoy it to my heart's content now - with none of the problems they had!  That's what's wonderful about this day and age - we can always go back in time, and still maintain the comforts of today.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image85
    Kathryn L Hillposted 14 months ago

As far as I know, progressives were called Democrats not progressives in the 60s. Conservatives were called Republicans not conservatives. Progressive and Conservative are modern terms for modern attitudes/thought ...
    I could be wrong.

Here is something interesting:
    American President Theodore Roosevelt of the US Republican Party and later the US Progressive Party declared that he "always believed that wise progressivism and wise conservatism go hand in hand". American President Woodrow Wilson was also a member of the American progressive movement within the Democratic Party.

US Progressive Party
    Any of three related political parties active in the first half of the twentieth century that favored social reform. The most prominent was that formed under Theodore Roosevelt in 1912.

1. http://www.heritage.org/research/report … n-politics

2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_li … ted_States

3. mactavers profile image87
    mactaversposted 14 months ago

Some people were just going about their daily lives, Some of us lost people to Viet Nam.  Some never came out of the drug scene.  Some friends of ours served in the Peace Corps.  Some of the music was dumb and some was great and is still being played and covered.  In short, life wasn't much different than for many people today.

What music was dumb!? yikes !!!?
      Someone needs to cover IT today!

1. Say Yes To Life profile image87
  4. Kathryn L Hill profile image85

I know a father who came home from serving in the Air Force in Viet Nam only to find that his oldest son, Brad, had become a hippie. He was appalled to find Brad wearing bell bottoms and long hair. Brad refused to get a hair cut so his father decided to get a neighbor, who was a cop, to hold him down. Together they cut his hair.

What a horrible ordeal for the whole family to witness. Especially for Brad's brother, Tom, who had to help hold him down.

The brothers had been very close. But, Tom felt loyalty to his father too. That incident messed both boys up psychologically. Neither quite understood, at the time, that their father was incensed to see his son dressed as a hippie as hippies were seen to be in complete rebellion against the war. Yet the father felt pride in serving his country.
    And here was his own son...

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image85
    1. Say Yes To Life profile image87

I remember that song as a child.  It's a decent song.  The way they performed it is what's ridiculous.