jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

How to develop children math skills ?

1. 61
    michelkhanposted 7 years ago

How to develop math skills? Developing children  math skill is very important topic, i think.

Can you suggest how we solve this problem.

1. Purple Perl profile image82
      Purple Perlposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You are absolutely right.Math is important for kids to learn in school.As adults we need to take wise decisions with respect to finances.A great many websites offer free resources on the various topics of math according to grade.

1. puregrace profile image76
        puregraceposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Math is important for life and I have found that talking math with your kids right from early on makes math relevant and gets them thinking mathematically in the milieu of living.
        What better place for children to begin to enjoy counting and the value of things than at home with moms and dads and brothers and sisters!
        Setting the table and counting buttons on shirts, counting rocks as you pick them up from the lawn, counting money, numbers on signs and on the clock! Counting boys, and girls, animals, etc.
        Counting by ones, twos, fives, tens, 25s and so on, can be done in a singsong way, and helps with memorization.
        As one mentor of mine said, Math is a language, a language of accuracy and truth. God's truth.

2. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
    GeneriqueMediaposted 7 years ago

I highly recommend any of the "Math Blaster" education software. Helped me get down my fractions. Well, better than I was at them, anyway.

The software is fun, educational, and it grows with the user and gives them more advanced mathematics as it goes along. You can then buy more software with more advanced math, as your child progresses. Its also tailored towards specific types of mathematics, depending on need.

Here's a link to the website:

Hope this helps.

3. sunstreeks profile image82
    sunstreeksposted 7 years ago

My daughter is 4. We are working on this right now. I tell her 3+3. She puts 3 fingers up on one hand and 3 on the other then pulls them together and counts 6. or whatever numbers as long as they stay under 10 because she told me "I can't I don't have enough fingers" Same with subtraction. Seems to be working.

We also buy the $1 store math workbooks for preschoolers. Those are awesome.

4. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 7 years ago
  5. packerpack profile image60
    packerpackposted 7 years ago

Vedic math is what I think could be good help. It teaches us lot of short cut that is very useful in doing mental calculations.