THAT Eternal, Moral Question

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (22 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/7941566.jpg
    Are there people who are predisposed towards evil?  Are there some people who are inherently evil?  Is evil the result of parental and environment upbringing?  Does childhood circumstances and situations cause certain people to lean towards and eventually become evil?  Or is childhood upbringing, circumstances, and situations irrelevant as to if some people are evil but there is inherently some type of genetic composition which makes them evil?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I would say they have severely distanced themselves from the love of their own hearts. Often this occurs due to substance abuse.
      My guess is that they enjoy their deranged sense of creativity. They may be proud of it.
      It serves their sense of accomplishment and feeling of power which they might not ordinarily feel ... at all. They are weak people with weak wills. Some might even unknowingly channel the dark side. Especially alcoholics.

How to fix them?

Step one, stop believing their BS!
      Step two leave them alone. Have nothing to do with them!
      Got it?

2. DasEngel profile image60
    DasEngelposted 8 years ago

There is a theory is Hinduism, though it may not make much sense to some people:  They believe that their four castes come from the different parts of God's body. The lower castes were originated from the feet and thighs of God (and more!).

The upper castes, they believe, came from God's torso. The highest of the Hindu castes, they believe, were originated from God's head.

You get a starting point there don't you big_smile

3. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

Once long ago I was in high school  reading and trying to understand the whole Nazi- Hitler  era of our past history ,   and in the end of the book  the author perfectly described the inherent  evil .   He said "......." perhaps it is the human heart , each of our hearts ,  that is divided  in some proportion between evil and good "........paraphrasing of course from memory ,    each of us has a molecule or so of darkness  in our hearts and souls . That  can be where it all begins ,  Some of us control that evil , others cannot but follow the course set forth  within or follow that one from outside of themselves.

4. Live to Learn profile image61
    Live to Learnposted 8 years ago

What is evil? Really. We rationalize the things we do. I see you used a picture of Hitler. The Nazis were not so different from the rest of us. They simply acted on their hatred of another ethnic group in the most heinous of ways.

I agree with what ahorseback said. There is darkness in all of us. I think it just expands geometrically the more people who buy into any particular portion of it. They don't consider themselves dark or evil. They simply think they are doing the right thing in the situation they are in. Kind of like supporters of Donald Trump.

1. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 8 years agoin reply to this

What a Segway to Trump !   There is evil there isn't there .

1. Live to Learn profile image61
        Live to Learnposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Segway? Not really. I doubt anyone knew where the Nazi party would end up when it began. Trump is dangerous primarily because he seems to be allowing people to believe their hatreds have a valid voice. That's the first step.

5. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 8 years ago

What (who) is evil?  The man without the ability to discern right from wrong?  The woman whose desires override reason?  The man whose moral code differs from yours, or whose actions don't follow your code?

Were the Aztec people evil because they practiced human sacrifice?  Were leaders or participants of the Crusades evil because they slaughtered people innocent of anything but not being Christian?  Are radical Islamists (ISIS) evil because they are convinced God has told them to murder (or the tribes of Israel in the OT, for that matter)? 

Was Eve evil for biting the apple when she didn't know any better (didn't know good from evil)?  Is the Christian god evil for killing Egyptian infants that were truly blameless of any wrongdoing?

1. janesix profile image59
      janesixposted 8 years agoin reply to this

MOST people have an innate sense of right and wrong. Where does it come from? Did it evolve? Or is it innate to thinking beings?

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Most people do.  The same basic one the rest of their culture has, but one differing (widely sometimes) from the culture across the way.

It mostly comes from the culture they live in.  It is NOT innate to thinking beings or there would be a far greater agreement between all peoples everywhere.  Yes, the sense evolved, as a survival mechanism for a specific group of people.  Same type of thing that produced, say, a wolves very definite sense of pack hierarchy.

What random mutation do you think makes you know right from wrong? What dna code is that?

Couldn't begin to tell you - I'm no geneticist.  However, when a trait is that widespread there isn't much else that might produce it.  And "knowledge of right from wrong" isn't necessarily what it is anyway - more likely the ability to live in large groups seems appropriate.  Which means the ability to determine, and follow, the social edicts of right and wrong for the culture inhabited.  The same "random mutation" that makes a wolf accept its place in the pack, and which would explain why differing cultures have such differing mores.

But what I'm talking about is your "sense" of right and wrong. It's got to come from somewhere. I don't think it's an accident of nature. My sense of right and wrong doesn't come from my culture. My culture says it's OK to have abortions or put people in jail for using drugs. I sense these things are wrong.

But there is nowhere else to get it.  Not from a pretend god (and the gods morality have always varied as well, according to the society that created it) not from the lion eating its cubs, not from anything else.  It comes from the evolutionary forces that made you a "herd" animal and the desire to survive in that herd.

I submit to you that if your society killed any person voicing any opinion against abortion you would quickly cease any opposition.  Your "sense" of wrong would quickly disappear, or at a minimum be buried deep under the professed agreement with the action.  Or you would die, which many did when slavery underwent its "trial by fire" in this country and the "rightness" of the action was challenged and changed.

Of course I would pretend to be in favor of abortion if I were in that situation, mainly because i'm a coward. Not everyone would be that way, though. The sense of it's wrongness would still be there.

I don't think it "comes from God". I think it is innate to the life force, just like the survival instinct.

But that's it; it IS a survival "instinct".  Which comes from evolution, not some undefined "life force"; without the desire and ability to reproduce (survive long enough to do so), a trait will vanish from the species.  And that includes both lack of a desire for survival AND the willingness to accept the "herds" definition of "right/wrong".

2. Phil Perez profile image60
      Phil Perezposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, wilderness. As we have previously discussed, you and I, I strongly believe as well that evil cannot exist if a person cannot differentiate between what is right or wrong.

60 (and more) years ago, Caucasians wouldn't let African Americans sit in the front of the bus nor let them into public facilities. Were people then evil, or ignorant? And are they evil now or ignorant now for letting "Blacks" sit in front of the bus and have access to public facilities?

I believe we adapt with the laws. The more self-aware and conscientious we are, the better our laws become, thus, a higher sense of understanding. No law is absolute just like no living creature is absolute. Everything adapts, just like wilderness proclaims.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
        Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Evil is deliberately scary. I consider many movies to be evil. Evil creations are from hardened hearts and twisted minds.

Evil deeds are done by individuals with a deranged sense of personal power or groups with a delusional sense of collective power. For instance, the Night Stalker and Manson committed terrible murders here in LA. People were murdered in Hollywood. Girls' dead bodies were found in the Hills of Echo Park. You think these men didn't know that what they were doing was wrong? Uh, they did and they didn't care. In fact, they justified them with UNCHECKED delusional imagining. That's evil.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)