jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Hot off the BBC Press, A "Brake" in Cancer!!!

1. RKHenry profile image78
    RKHenryposted 7 years ago

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45679000/jpg/_45679180_prostate_cancer226spl.jpg
    Cancer brake 'could halt disease'
    A prostate cancer cell dividing
    The study focused on the growth of cells which cause diseases like cancer

Genetic "brakes" which could slow down or stop diseases like MS and cancer have been found by scientists.

University of Edinburgh researchers said their findings could lead to new treatments for such illnesses.

It was previously thought that a select group of "master" genes was responsible for controlling the growth of cells which can cause the conditions.

But the team found hundreds of genes interacting and they will now try to find weak spots to halt tumor growth.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8007023.stm

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 7 years ago in reply to this

That is great for the rich.  Sucks to be poor.

RKHenryposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I don't get where you are coming from.  The poor in the USA is very well taken care of.  It's called Medicad.  The working class will benefit by this as well.  I'm curious Sandra, what is your bases for thinking this way?

1. profile image0

From experience living as a poor class citizen in the state of California that when I applied for government help as I am completely within the guidelines of receiving it I was denied repeatedly.

Some will say that it is bs. but if it were bs. then why don't I have it?  big_smile

2. ledefensetech profile image78
    ledefensetechposted 7 years ago

That's a foolish statement.  This is great news.  The thing you don't realize is that there could be a treatment to stop these diseases.  When those come to market, market forces will over time force the price of those treatments down.  Sooner or later everyone will benefit from this research.  If you want it to spread faster, think of ways to increase the supply of this cure to meet the demand for it.

If you don't like being poor, do something about it.

RKHenryposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Who are you addressing?

3. ledefensetech profile image78

Sorry, Sandra.  It was her post that said "It sucks to be poor".

4. ledefensetech profile image78

Because it's a scam.  There's not enough money in the program to pay everyone who is eligible.  To get enough money, you'd have to steal it from people who have money.  It's the same story with Workman's comp, Unemployment insurance, Medicaid, Medicare and Social Security.  The day will come when those, too, will go to the chopping block, it's only a matter of when it will happen and how much it will cost us.

The worst part about that is that rather than take the money currently being redistributed to welfare programs and using it to create new jobs or possibly new medical techniques, we're told we have to tighten our belts and give more.  It's crazy, sooner or later you run out of other people's money to spend.

1. profile image0

I do think the research is wonderful.  I am really excited about it.  I was thrilled to learn about it on the news etc... when it dawned on me that even I did have cancer (which is more likely then not) why or how could anyone like me ever receive this treatment when, even though I am not rich, know that there are others who would deserve it more than me. 

To me it is hopeful for the future to my daughter and hers etc... way out in the future.  But at this moment in time it doesn't benefit me or the majority of humanity.  It's like a teasing.

Saying, I could cure ya, but since you don't have any money, too bad.  Die!  lol.  not that it is actually funny.

5. ledefensetech profile image78

You're right it isn't funny and it's not fair.  But that's not the way of the world.  The worst thing we could do is set things up in such a way that hinders medical progress and/or that rations such service.

Great Britain is having this discussion right now, where as part of their National Health Service, they have a board that takes the cost of your treatment, divides it by the time you'd be likely to live and uses that number to determine if you get the treatment or not.  That's part of Mr. Obama's agenda for "health care reform" here.  If it were he or his, you can be sure no expense would be spared to get it for them.

The problem we have here in this country with health care is that the supply is restricted.  We only license a certain number of doctors each year and this allows them to charge more than they would if we didn't require a license.   When you take that coupled with the fact that drug companies get a monopoly for up to 20 years.  Yes, you guessed it, this causes the price to rise and makes drugs more expensive.  It's good for the drug companies, bad for you and me.  But that's one thing you'll never hear about on the nightly news.

working