jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

The Roman Empire discovered America.

1. Buildreps profile image95
    Buildrepsposted 16 months ago

It appears now that NOT Christopher Columbus first discovered America, but the Roman Empire about 1500 years earlier. http://www.bostonstandard.co.uk/news/lo … -1-7118097

1. colorfulone profile image89
      colorfuloneposted 16 months ago in reply to this

Thank you for posting this, its interesting and is a piece of the puzzle that answers some questions I have had.  Wow! Go figure.  That explains so much about Western history.

2. ahorseback profile image48
    ahorsebackposted 16 months ago

Oak Island NS. what a beautiful area , I'm not surprised by this and believe that any  group of explorers society ,   a ship of refugees ,  a ship lost at sea , an organized or unorganized  group of people had arrived anywhere along the coasts of America , pre-Columbus .    The Normans , Romans  the Vikings , who's to know who or what the first man on the North American coast could have been . This is very interesting  .      Anyone who's never been to Nova Scotia should go there though , It's an amazing place of maritime history .

3. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 16 months ago

The Americas were discovered some 10,000 years ago by people crossing the Bering land bridge.  Odd how that is forgotten so often.

1. christopheranton profile image78
      christopherantonposted 16 months ago in reply to this

I was just about to point that out but I'm glad you did.

2. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 16 months ago in reply to this

Never ceases to amaze me either.

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 16 months ago in reply to this

I remember an Englishman and his Scottish wife I met at some party who insisted that Captain Cook was the first human to set foot on Hawai`i.

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 16 months ago in reply to this

LOL  Such things would be comical if they weren't so sad.  Egocentrism at it's worst.

3. Live to Learn profile image81
      Live to Learnposted 16 months ago in reply to this

I watched an interesting documentary which reviewed DNA testing showing that what is now America was first inhabited by people from tribes originating in Europe. Then came the migration over the Bering land bridge. European DNA shows up in indigenous peoples as far west as Washington state.

4. Buildreps profile image95
    Buildrepsposted 16 months ago

The point is that people 10 ky ago left no writings or maps, while the Romans made maps etc, similarly as the Greeks. It looks like our history is incorrectly taught because parts are left out. That's the whole point. But why would anyone want to do this?

5. Michaela Osiecki profile image89
    Michaela Osieckiposted 16 months ago

I've seen a few documentaries that suggest the Polynesians were the first to establish contact and trade with the early peoples on the west coast of modern day America, mainly because the style of boats used by the two people were VERY similar, almost too similar to be coincidence.

working