jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

The UK Grammar School System

1. Glenis Rix profile image84
    Glenis Rixposted 2 months ago

Is streaming children into different types of schools at the age of eleven,on the basis of an intelligence test, a good thing?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image86
      Kathryn L Hillposted 2 months ago in reply to this

First response: Why? What problem are they trying to solve or what are they trying to achieve?

Second response: Is school better when students of different intelligences and aptitudes, (or even ages) are mixed together, or not?

I would say yes, it is better because school is also a place where social skills are developed. Psychologically, kids benefit by being in a body of peers. When some are singled out as more intelligent than others you are pinpointing higher and lower levels of intelligence rather than just accepting a child at whatever level he is at.  In addition, in school environments where there are different abilities, ages and levels of intelligence, the older and more knowledgeable children can help those who need help to understand what is being taught.

The Way I See It

1. Glenis Rix profile image84
        Glenis Rixposted 2 months ago in reply to this

It's a vexed question with pros and cons on both sides of the argument.

A few state schools in the UK are excellent - others are poor and under-performing. Children do not have equal opportunities as they are usually compelled to go to a school close to where they live - be it good or bad. This is seen by the Prime Minister as detrimental to the outcomes of able students living is less well-off areas, because more children from good schools go on to university education than children from less good schools. She herself attended a Grammar School, as I did.

Re-introducing the selective system at age eleven is intended to allow academically bright children to attend a school that is focused on good academic outcomes but is out of their catchment area.

I've written more about the educational experiences of my family on my blog -

http://www.pensionerspages.co.uk/2016/0 … ammar.html

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image86
          Kathryn L Hillposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Okay, thanks. Maybe we can learn something from what the UK is experiencing. I think we are on the verge of a revolution in education in the US. I don't know when, though. There are many (bad) reasons to keep things mostly as they are.

working