Have You Reached Enlightenment?

Jump to Last Post 51-72 of 72 discussions (444 posts)
  1. sweigand profile image59
    sweigandposted 14 years ago

I think of reaching enlightenment as being content with your achievements and are at peace with yourself. I am very pleased with how successful my career has been just out of college, but I still have so much more I want to accomplish.

2. VioletSun profile image80
    VioletSunposted 14 years ago

If you are speaking in a spiritual context of being totally aware of who we are, who God really is without the filters/perceptions of ego, then no, I am not enlightened.

1. marinealways24 profile image60
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very humbling statements from you, sweigland, countrywomen. Thanks for posting.

3. emohealer profile image67
    emohealerposted 14 years ago

No, I don't think that I have "reached" enlightenment.

I agree with so many of you that it is a continual quest.  However, I do believe I have seen the light or lights, the glimmer that is, I know where it is at and the direction to travel.  Sometimes I am more "enlightened" than other times.  As much as I have seen the light that is, I still sometimes step into the shadows.

I do believe this is the actual ultimate quest and will continue the journey of enlightenment for as long as time allows.

4. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I see enlightenment as a life long objective to strive for. Not religious enlightenment which is anything but.

1. usmanali81 profile image59
      usmanali81posted 14 years agoin reply to this

hhmmm ... since it's a life long process, that's the reason Bush did not achieved it yet and killed thousands of innocents.

5. Miss M profile image60
    Miss Mposted 14 years ago

maybe... I don't know yet!

1. profile image0
      \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

when you do will you let me know, I feel I could learn from you

6. Miss M profile image60
    Miss Mposted 14 years ago

I will, Brenda!

7. marinealways24 profile image60
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

Possibly one stage of enlightenment could be ones seperation of religion to find individual belief and logic.

1. mohitmisra profile image61
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"You religion and country are part of your ego,
      For god, the truth even that one must let go. "

Lol, I no longer have ego. Nice assumption "enlightened" one. We all know what assumptions do, yet I will not say, I will let you assume. I guess "enlightened" ones make assumptions with no bearing.

I was backing up your answer and not going against it, you have misinterpreted it.I agree with what you said.
          Enlightenment makes one go beyond religions ,after that you have no attachment to any one religion.Your assumptions have no bearing.

I am honest and will admit when I misread something. Maybe what threw me off is when you continue to use "God" when referring to enlightenment. While I believe in a God or Gods, none of religious teachings. Another thing that makes me highly question you is that you portray to know something. I believe a stage in enlightenment is to understand you know nothing. I am not set on my belief that one "has" to believe in God to become enlightened.

Its not believe, its become god, enlightenment- in light -the light of god.
              Enlightenment is not the end of knowledge at the same time it is the pinnacle of human knowledge where one knows his source or the meaning of god. Also called awakening as the human is in a dream like or sleep like state.
              Lets look at the masters like Zarathustra,Buddha, Jesus and Gurur Nanak.What do you think they meant by enlightenment?

I would never claim to be anywhere near the same level of God or a God. I also believe enlightenment comes in multiple stages rather than 1 stage. One can have enlightening moments through life brodening their range of enlightenment.

"Lets look at the masters like Zarathustra,Buddha, Jesus and Gurur Nanak.What do you think they meant by enlightenment?[/"

I do not base my ideas of enlightenment on prophets as I do not believe in prophets. I do not look to religion for answers. I look to myself for answers.

I base my ides on the masters and not on mundane topics.Look into yourself and you will find the same answer the prophets have given.

Again, I do not believe in prophets. This would be favoritism.

2. tksensei profile image61
                  tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh, you believe as much as any fanatic in all that. You have just substituted yourself for God. Great work.

When a dog chases its own tail too long you know something is wrong with it.

1. profile image0
                    Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You should know.  Leave the good Marine alone, TK.  He has an infinitely more interesting and inquiring mind than you do, Troll....  You should know personally about the dog chasing its tail, however.

2. marinealways24 profile image60
            2. anjalichugh profile image69
              anjalichughposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The way I see it...the first step to enlightenment is (as you mentioned) to surrender yourself to the 'Unseen' and to accept that you know nothing. It's as if you clear your mind of all the preconceived notions and make way for the Eternal Knowledge to seep inside your mind, body and soul. What follows thereafter is absolute peace with no scope for any arguments. Your mind opens doors to higher consciousness and you suddenly are 'reminded' of your 'source' and 'destination'. That is 'enlightenment.' smile smile

Correct its connecting, becoming the source, the Light.

That was a joke, right?

I am glad you responded. Do you understand importance of ego? Do you have any clue of how ego prevents progression?

1. tksensei profile image61

So you really believe you have no ego at this point?

You did not answer my question did you? I am not perfect like anyone else. I will say I make a conscious effort to find humbleness.

Oh no, I have no idea about those things. Only someone as humble as you could ever have heard of such things.

You just said who you are, you have no idea. Your childish comments show your arrogance. You are simply too lazy to think.

2. mohitmisra profile image61

s
                How can a person who doesn't acknowledge the prophets not have an ego? His definition of enlightenment is correct and not the prophets definitions.

I have seen you in many posts with 1-2 word comments. Is it too much work to think? If you recognized humbleness and lost your arrogance, maybe you would be enlightened.

Like you?

More 2 word comments. Your comments are very "enlightening".

When did I ever give you the impression that I had any interest in 'enlightening' you?

The point is to enlighten yourself which you obviously have not done.

8. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

It works for some people and did for me once. then I got to asking ,whats my purpose ? why am I here?
    I dont have all the answers and the journey is amazing..
    btw marine hope you liked my birthday greeting , the good peeps showed me how to paste jpg files so I enjoyed finding that greeting for ya...smile

Hello there. Excellent words you shared. Thank You. Thanks as well for my bday greeting! I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about lol but will be sure to check the thread! Thank You

9. Inspirepub profile image71
    Inspirepubposted 14 years ago

One who has experienced enlightenment has no need to claim to be "enlightened" as a result.

Those who take a moment of enlightenment and make of it a lifelong ego trip are no longer enlightened.

In fact, the moment one thinks "hey, wow, this is enlightenment", one has already lost it ...

Jenny

So Zarathustra and Buddha didn't say they are enlightened and its all a big joke and they had a foolish ego.

You don't know what enlightenment is Jenny and you keep making these foolish statements on enlightenment and how the masters think.
      This is ego.

1. Inspirepub profile image71
        Inspirepubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I seem to recall many quotes from the Buddha reproaching people for looking up to him as "an enlightened one". I am sure like every other human being he has his ego moments, but I have seen no record of him demanding respect - or anything else - because he had experienced enlightenment.

I can't comment on Zarathura - I don't have any reference material.

You cannot know what I do or don't know, Mohit.

I don't preach it in these forums. Or anywhere else.

The statements I make are nothing more than koans. It is your reaction to them which is instructive, not the words themselves.

Those who choose to render judgement on these matters will use your responses as a gauge of the truth of your claim to have become permanently enlightened. I reserve my judgement.

I cannot know what aspects of this existence you are choosing to explore freely, and which of your responses, if any, are based in striving or resistance. Only you can know that.

Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water.

Jenny

From your statements is very clear to me you have no idea what an enlightened one is and write for the sake of filling up pages.

I seem to recall many quotes from the Buddha reproaching people for looking up to him as "an enlightened one". I am sure like every other human being he has his ego moments, but I have seen no record of him demanding respect - or anything else - because he had experienced enlightenment.

Buddha was mocked by some for claiming enlightenment and was asked for proof to which he said nature is my witness.

I can't comment on Zarathura - I don't have any reference material.
          Zarathustra gained enlightenment by a river and was jailed for fourteen years for claiming it as he was called mad.

I don't preach it in these forums. Or anywhere else.
          You cannot preach is correct so don't even try .

The statements I make are nothing more than koans.
          Where are the koans before this?

Those who choose to render judgement on these matters will use your responses as a gauge of the truth of your claim to have become permanently enlightened. I reserve my judgement.

Cannot force anyone to believe just like the Buddha but I have to speak the truth just like Christ or Buddha or Muhammad or Guru Nanak.You don't know what enlightenment is .

I cannot know what aspects of this existence you are choosing to explore freely, and which of your responses, if any, are based in striving or resistance. Only you can know that.

When you talk nonsense about enlightenment and the masters I point it out like previously you made a stupid statements on the finger pointing to the moon and Buddha never said thoughts materialize.

Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water.
          I know that you don't.

10. Garrett McLee profile image41
    Garrett McLeeposted 14 years ago

Enlightenment is defined by the individual.

11. marinealways24 profile image60

In my idea of enlightenment, I would say no one that "judges" anothers belief is enlightened. One may disagree, yet they will not judge. One can only debate with logic, not irrationality. Irrational Statements are not very enlightening.

1. Davinagirl3 profile image59
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is human nature to judge, but it is divine to think these judgments through before we proclaim them.  I believe everyone is prejudice on some level.  My idea of "enlightenment" in that sense, is to be objective.  Always look at all sides of the argument.  Some people are argumentative and there is nothing you can do to change it. Most racist people operate on fear and ignorance.  I don't want to be afraid or ignorant.  Racism is just a form of judgement.  I like your views on judgment... (I know I keep spelling it wrong).  You are very objective.

I agree with much of what you said. As far as human nature to judge, I believe it is as well. However, this does not mean I will not be conscious of the moment and self-consciously make attempt to not judge someone. I believe there is a fine line that has to be found on an individual level between judging and debating. I believe judging uses irrationality while debate uses logic, if it is a "logical debate".

1. Davinagirl3 profile image59
          Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well stated, as usual.  I don't believe that people make the conscious decision to judge, but must make the conscious decision to recognize and ammend it before they act upon it.

Excellent

12. my-success-guru profile image56
    my-success-guruposted 14 years ago

Yes it happened today. I am enlightened that I'm not enlightened! LOL

13. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

"The way I see it...the first step to enlightenment is (as you mentioned) to surrender yourself to the 'Unseen' and to accept that you know nothing. It's as if you clear your mind of all the preconceived notions and make way for the Eternal Knowledge to seep inside your mind, body and soul. What follows thereafter is absolute peace with no scope for any arguments. Your mind opens doors to higher consciousness and you suddenly are 'reminded' of your 'source' and 'destination'. That is 'enlightenment.'"

You always put things so eloquently. I think is exactly right. It's kind of like remembering who you are, really. I think it's the ultimate act of remembering. smile

Yes awakening to your true self.smile

14. marinealways24 profile image60

Pgrundy and anjilchugh, Thanks for posting.

Very wise and intelligent words from both of you in my belief. Thank You for thinking.

15. profile image0
    DarwinsLaureateposted 14 years ago

"Sometimes the best answer is silence."

*drops a pin*

Very enlightening pin drop!

16. marinealways24 profile image60

In my belief, not in a religious meaning, It is my logic that it would be absolute blaspheme to claim one had the knowledge of God. While I do not think our creators intentions should not be debated, I would never claim to know the mind, one could only guess in my belief. When it comes down to things, I simply do not even know why the grass is green and the sky is blue.

17. profile image0
    DarwinsLaureateposted 14 years ago

The biggest trick man played on himself was the belief he was adopted. wink

Can you add more detail on that please

1. profile image0
        DarwinsLaureateposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I could. smile Maybe via e-mail. Otherwise, it'd defeat the purpose of claiming to be enlightened.

Thats fine , email will work. Thanks

18. CarpetDiem profile image72
    CarpetDiemposted 14 years ago

I'm still trying to make it to "just getting by"... smile

If everyone could start by being satisfied with that important accomplishment there would be a massive reduction in pretentious hot air in the world.

1. profile image0

Yep.  And lots of one sentence answers.  Writers are somewhat known for their 'hot air' verbiage, you know, sooooo unfortunately for those who can't muster it...and write lots of sentences, sometimes even stringing them into paragraphs, articles and books.

You could take your 'stuff' to the local pub. I think grunts and "LOLS!" and other monosyllabic traits would be most welcome there!

I think that would be very enlightening!

Defending pretentious hot air? Really?

1. profile image0

What YOU define as 'hot air,' given your pathetic agenda (if I even want to use such a pretentious word towards you) is generally just the opposite, so yeah, I will.

Lita, I don't think you will make any ground until he/her loses their arrogance, yet there is always hope.

1. profile image0

Been there, tried that...tried to be nice to this 'person.'  He started following me around with his crap.  Sometimes (as a trained marine would know) you choose to go on the offensive.

Now he's 'after' you--a person whose only offense it was to ask questions.  Ridiculous.

Not to go 'round the same circle, but do you really believe YOU have lost your "arrogance"? Really?

So you think pretentious hot air is a good thing? This is why normal people roll their eyes at a certain kind of ...person (not necessarily directed at you personally)and dismiss them.

1. profile image0

YOU define 'normal?'  That's so ridiculous for what you display.  And I have no worries.  I have always gotten along well with a variety of people.  I can go from the working class factory (and have) to the boardroom to the society living rooms (and do).

What you are really stating and how you present yourself (part of enlightenment is being aware or yourself and others) is just part and parcel to your insecurities.  It's simple psychology.  If you didn't feel inferior, you wouldn't need to troll around and be nasty to youngish guys who should be commended for asking good questions.

Your problem, from what I can deduce, is your environment there in Cambridge, and how it makes you feel.  You take that and focus on victims on the internet you see as proponents of the same elitism or whatever you feel is directed toward you in your real life.

It's sad, not LOL!  But whatever.

It's a broad definition, but ...

LOL. That says it all.

3. tksensei profile image61

Guessing games are fun, huh?

What you claim as "hot air" is your excuse for being lazy to think, instead you assume you know.

Is it your position that pretentious hot air doesn't exist?

19. profile image0
    dennisemattposted 14 years ago

I would have to say NO, I dont even know what enlightment is. and because I am not logical, I skipped to the ending to post my answer....without even checking if somebody explained it anywhere...I mean, theres like, over 300 posts!!!

Just out of curiosity, why would you say no? Thanks for posting.

1. profile image0
        dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

no joke, I realy have no idea what enlightenment is. I feel like a jerk for not reading the rest of it but that TK guy and lita and all made my head hurt....saying all big words like pretentious hot air(wich I think might be a stuck-up hot air ballon?) and I skipped to the end without learning anything. so I have to say I am not enlightend. wich was to answer your original question.  smile

Which makes you a lot closer to it than most here.

You speak on something you know nothing of because you only think of what you know which is truly nothing. You continue being content with what you know if that is what makes you happy. I do not know you but I will guarantee you one thing, if you keep your arrogant childish attitude to refuse what you don't know, you will not progress.

LOL! Too funny. Did you read what you wrote there? Take it easy champ, you're trying too hard.

What I said made perfect sense. You failed to understand because of your laziness to think. You are your own destruction as you have proven "champ".

I wish your child the best, I simply wish they had a better role model.

Pay attention now:

You see what you did there?

Write the rest of the comment. It made perfect sense as well, yet you fail to see.

Show a little class, *******. Mind the line.

Act like an adult so you can be a role model instead of a selfish arrogant little child.

If it makes you feel any better, I don't know the websters definiton of "pretentious hot air" either, but at least you show you are thinking about it. That is always worthy of credit. Some have problems thinking as displayed.

Webster's couldn't explain it any better than this thread.

20. profile image0
    dennisemattposted 14 years ago

wait..nobody told me what enlightenment IS yet....and this is in the education forum?....please dont get each other deleted!!!!!!

You have the read the 400+ posts. lol

21. tksensei profile image61
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Aren't we all?

Not those of us whom use our human minds.

You should use 'who' not 'whom' there.

On the large scale of things, does it matter?

You have a lot more to worry about than word usage.

Just trying to help you out.

Appreciated, now go find yourself.

I'm right here, thanks.

What exactly?

finding yourself

Ok, seriously now, maybe you would enjoy actually studying philosophy or religion or something. At this Point - no offense- you are just dropping superficial platitudes over and over. What purpose does that serve you or anyone else?

Have a nice day.

Yes.

22. marinealways24 profile image60

Of the things I say, am I the only one it makes sense to? If not, I am always open to debate.

"Logical Debate"

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)