jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Any amateur archaeologists here

1. Randy Godwin profile image92
    Randy Godwinposted 7 years ago

You know, Native American artifact collectors or other history buffs.  Or are all of ya'll just keyboard jockeys?

1. 0
      A Texanposted 7 years ago in reply to this

There are a bunch of places to look around where I live, I have found some camps filled with Arrow heads but generally give them to a friend of mine who collects them.

2. 0
    Ghost32posted 7 years ago

We dug up an old tee shirt buried by a pedestrian illegal immigrant, no more than a day after we moved onto our desert Arizona acreage near the Mexican border.  Does that count? lol

1. 0

Was the illegal still in it?

1. 0
        Ghost32posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Nah.  He'd made tracks.  Literally.  When we got here, many many tracks indicated our now-homesite had been dead center on a main route north.  Now that route has moved about 300 yards to the east, again going by tracks. 

I assume the illegal was a "he" since most of those coming through are men looking for work and also since the tee shirt was an XXL size--although of course there are ladies who qualify for the latter. 

A few thousand years from now, though, I'd think many of the illegals' discards will be considered artifacts:  Backpacks, water bottles, clothing, etc.  Enough of the stuff is non-biodegradable plastic to last quite well....

1. 0

Whatever you do don't detain any of them at gunpoint, they might sue you.

3. dutchman1951 profile image60
    dutchman1951posted 7 years ago

You Bet I am. Civil War sites, and Mexico when I can scrape enough up to go. Electronic Metal detector and all. Love to research it and go. Love to hunt for artifacts.

Jon in Nashville

4. Sufidreamer profile image81
    Sufidreamerposted 7 years ago

I like to get out and about and look for interesting things, although there is a strict 'look but don't touch' policy in Greece.

It is interesting to talk to some of the professional archaeologists around here - there is some cutting edge research going on smile

5. euro-pen profile image80
    euro-penposted 7 years ago

I do have no experience with archeology in North America. But ages ago when I was in high school (in Europe) we discovered some artifacts from the stone ages around our school town. The digging was organised by our history/geography teacher and it was really fun. Basically, we did "emergency digging" meaning we dug at construction sites. Our best discovery was some fire ground complete with parts of ceramical accessoires.

6. Randy Godwin profile image92
    Randy Godwinposted 7 years ago

Although the laws have changed over the years it is still okay to collect Native American artifacts from fields and other places where an "in situ" situation no longer pertains.  I have hundreds, if not thousands of projectile points I have found, some over 10,000 years old.  Collecting them saves them from being broken by the farm equipment.  There's something cool about being the first to see them in centuries.

One of my first hubs is about having the privilege of seeing a very private collection in an isolated part of the state.  This collection could be a museum in itself with it's many beautiful objects.  I am going to add many more pictures to this hub as it seems to do okay with page views.