jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Who are you?

1. wavegirl22 profile image49
    wavegirl22posted 7 years ago

How is it that we can You can remove a person's heart, replace it with a donor's heart, and the person will remain as he was prior to the surgery. Many internal organs can be replaced. And still, we continue to love the same people, the same hobbies, and the same foods.

Now if a person goes through some bad experiences be it a mental, an emotional or a physical trauma they are never the same. The physical body hasn't changed, or perhaps the change is unseen to the naked eye. I find it amazing that you can change the insides of a person yet they stay the same, but when something happens to them - triggered by an outside force - they are totally changed.

To say that alot happens to a each one of us in the course of our lives is an understatement. But one thing is for sure, the person we are today is not the person we once were.

So who are you? I like to think that I am forever working on me. Evolving and growing and trying to be the best person I can be. .

1. stoneangel444 profile image60
      stoneangel444posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I have always believed we are a sum total of our life experiences.  The way we deal with each experince may be based on teachings of those in who we trust or have faith. We may deal with each situation, good or bad, based on a previous experience. Either way, each experience will change us a bit. The change may not be evident to others but can be felt, no matter how slight, by us. At times we may even lean on our beliefs and trust in others to help us through a situation.
      You are right. The person we once were may still be there in principle but we all change a certain amount. I think the important part is not to become afraid of change or to let red flags from previous experince close our minds to new experiences and possiblites for learning.

2. dohn121 profile image88
    dohn121posted 7 years ago

I can probably answer this best by stating who I don't want to be:

I don't want to be a person who has a lot of regrets once my number is called.  I don't want to rant about Could've Would've Should've.  If I can achieve that, I'll be happy.

3. thranax profile image58
    thranaxposted 7 years ago

Some people would say it because all our memories of love and others are stored in our Spirits. It is a much nicer thought then just saying it it stored in the brain.

wavegirl22posted 7 years ago in reply to this

It sure is thranax  .  and as Medical science is progressing these days so fast that yesterdays miracles are tomorrows norm. And even though heart transplants have become almost routine . .the thought that more than the heart is being actually transplanted into the recipient is still out there ..

Yet this bizarre possibility was raised in the case of Sonny Graham. He was a happily married 69-year-old man living in Georgia. He shot himself without warning, having shown no previous signs of unhappiness, let alone depression, and like I said he was happily married for sometime. When his friends were questioned they all said it had to be an act of passion .. not reason.

The case might have remained just an isolated tragedy were it not for the fact that Sonny had received a transplanted heart from a man who had also shot himself - in identical circumstances.

To make things even more intriguing, shortly after receiving the heart transplant, Sonny tracked down the wife of the donor - and fell instantly in love with her.

All one can say to this is.....hmmmmmmm hmm

4. wavegirl22 profile image49
    wavegirl22posted 7 years ago

as usual I like your answer . . for when we get to the final destination  . .the question that is most important will be were you the best "you" with your time . .

1. 60
      vicky jaaniposted 7 years ago in reply to this

5. dohn121 profile image88
    dohn121posted 7 years ago

Wow.  This is truly fascinating.  All I can say is that from a Buddhist's perspective, the spirit of the heart's owner cannot rest and so cannot pass into the world of the dead.  His spirit is still clinging to the natural world due to the heart transplant.  The heart that Sonny Graham is "using" still carries with it the emotions of the original owner.  Perhaps the original owner made a mistake when killing himself and so is in the world between the living and dead. 

Only until he makes reparations (or someone else makes them for him) can he pass into the world of the dead.  In almost all religions, suicide is never the answer.  It is certainly outlined in this case.

makes me wonder when religion and science can come together  . .just even a little bit. . .I just think we would all benefit if they did . . and you are right until the correct reparations are make cant he pass on...suicide is never the answer .  .it is just having to start all over with the same corrections that need to be made . .and that is if the person taking his own life even gets that second chance.

1. dohn121 profile image88
        dohn121posted 7 years ago in reply to this

About him getting a second chance is certainly tricky.  I'm not exactly sure how it works out.  I don't believe it fair to spend an eternity for making one crucial mistake, even if the person had been evil their entire life and also don't believe that a good person deserves to spend an eternity of bliss for being a good person for all their live.  Somehow or way, a resolution will be made and until then, his (the shooter or suicide victim) his spirit will reside in his heart--or until Sonny Graham passes away.

1. 0
          Ghost32posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I truly believe Popeye says it best:  "I yam what I yam!" lol

However, in the details:  I've personally seen the "second chance" (or 2nd billionth chance, however many it takes) in action.  There's a Spiritual Law that frowns on identifying individuals about whom you have a reincarnational clue, so I'll avoid that, but one true life example of which I'm CERTAIN is:

I did not know her, but there was a very unhappy young lady who, after long and deep involvement with drugs including heroin addiction, committed suicide by overdose at the age of 31.  Exactly one week later, she came back--but this time she was given a better chance, as she assumed a male body, for which she (now he) was better suited, at least at the moment.

When he (the male baby) grew up, he became a drug dealer and got into meth fairly early on but his karma and/or spiritual protection this time was quite good--he got caught early,  "Meth DUI", paid a bunch of dues, and actually managed to kick the habit.  Eventually, he even quit dealing.  He's now in his mid-twenties and doing amazingly well, considering.  He's no fool, maintains a stable "straight" job, and is even buying his own home.  True, he still uses pot, but these days mostly to get to sleep--with his "hyper brain" (he has ADHD), he would otherwise GET no sleep.  He's close to numerous friends and family and appears unlikely to repeat his suicidal history.

Which amounts, overall, to quite a step up in the world of "functioning" human beings.

wow Ghost I am still pondering this one. . . has me really thinking . .  I am sure I will have more to say as soon as I take it in and process a little. . . quite amazing roll