How Do You Deal with Liars?

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (49 posts)
  1. aoiffe379 profile image60
    aoiffe379posted 14 years ago

A friend got a ride with me and when she reached home,she discovered that her son[6 yrs] was 'sweet' with cologne, apparently belonging to his father.She asked him about the cologne,where he got it from,if it belonged to his father,why he sprayed himself with it; and the boy denied everything.When he tell lies,he is so sincere and looks so innocent.A teenager tells lies for fun;and he too is so sincere and credible until one discovers a hole in his story or behaviour.Even then he is in denial.An adult received a contract for the renovation of a house in January and said it would be completed by mid- June.At the rate he is going,only God knows the true completion date.In June he was so sure the job would be completed speedily;and it is almost October.How would you deal with these liars?One saying declares that liars are thieves and thieves are potential murderers.What do you say?

1. ScarletRyan1970 profile image60
      ScarletRyan1970posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Adult in question needs to pull the bull by the horns and sack the building contractors.The Adult will have to spin them a good yarn,basically lie to them.No time for thieves.They are taking the micky.

2. geethakasiram profile image59
      geethakasiramposted 14 years agoin reply to this

All people speak lie at some typical situation.i would agree this type of lies.But some people always speak lie.I hate and aware of them.For eg,in college students speaks lot of lies but when we ask "why do u lie ?".They simply says that "just kidding yaar".Its not fair for them.Because one lie makes many lies.
      My question is "why do we want to tell lie?". When we speak lie, we loss of our  characteristic and good name .
      Always speak truth,no problems will be there.

2. loveofnight profile image75
    loveofnightposted 14 years ago

i honestly believe that there is no one on the planet that does not lie.perfection does not live here, we will always have to deal with liars in one form or another.

1. drej2522 profile image67
      drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I disagree. I am perfect!

3. patful profile image61
    patfulposted 14 years ago

There are people who live by the lie. They wouldn't know The Truth if it slapped them in the face. My approach to adult liars, once it's clear to me what they are, is to draw a line through their names on my "friends list" and move on. There's no point in lecturing them or arguing with them (unless there's a financial transaction involved). But when you know the person cannot be trusted, you simply don't trust them with anything that counts.
    As for a young child who lies---and you KNOW  he/she's spinning you a tall one---you have a discussion with them about what it means to lose your credibility.
    You impress on them that when you tell the truth, you don't have to keep remembering what you said in your last version of "the story". If it's your child that's involved, there should be some appropriate penalty involved to make the lesson memorable.Because there have been so many liars involved (and caught) in Big Business and in Government, it might be good to point out these public examples.
    Another point to make with a young child is that if you keep lying and lying, it all comes to bite you eventually. (Unfortunately for some adults, it takes too long.)

1. Sue Adams profile image95
      Sue Adamsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hear, hear! No-one can be intelligent enough to keep telling lies without eventually being found out.

4. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 14 years ago

Twenty lashings in town square, at noon for all to see!!!!

5. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

Liars will eventually lose the trust of their loved ones. Once you begin telling lies, no one can trust you anymore!

I suppose the best way to deal with a liar is to call them out on each and every lie. Chances are though, that they'll deny them, if they are used to lying frequently or could even be described as pathological liars. If they admit to the lie you called them out on, then maybe all is not lost. smile

6. A2shley profile image60
    A2shleyposted 14 years ago

I'm not sure if I'd say the contractor is "lying."  Most people are inordinately incapable of future prediction.  Even with all the best intentions at heart (and training) most people will over or under-estimate the length of time to complete a project.  Whether that's right or not depends on your tolerance and patience for contractual commitments. 

As for the child lying...I'm not sure what to do about that.  Not having children myself I can't offer any experience, but from observing my nephews I know that when they lie about things its b/c they fear getting in to trouble.  They may think they will get in trouble for admitting to what they did and lie to prevent that or please the adult.  Definitely a behavior that should be corrected and not encouraged. 

As for lying from adults - friends in particular - it can be infuriating.  I usually distance myself from them and eventually no longer speak to them.  There is one girl in particular who used to lie about making plans with my boyfriend.  My BF always told me when they would hang out (we were all mutual friends) and I trusted him completely but it was actually really hurtful to be lied to from her.  When there is no reason to lie people will lose all faith in you.

7. Paradise7 profile image68
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

Yeah, unfortunately people are often too afraid or something to just go ahead and tell the truth.  Or maybe they feel there is some advantage in a lie.

When you catch it, it depends on the situation whether confrontation is the right answer.  With a child, I'd say go ahead and confront, but try to get to the motivation behind the lie and take care of it if it's a problem and if it's YOUR child.  Someone else's child...well, I think I'd let it go.  You can create an awful lot of bad feelings by calling somebody else's kid a liar, even if he is one.

With the contractor, I feel really bad for you there.  I hate getting stung by trusting someone's word in a business situation, only to have that person fail me.  It isn't a good thing, especially when I bust myself to keep MY word in business situations.  If the contractor does you too bad, there are legal remedies.  Sometimes the threat is enough; but sometimes it backfires.  You don't want the person working on your house to be an enemy.  Still, you can't lay down and let the contractor walk all over you.

I'd try a gentle confrontation first, reminding him of what he told you and what you believed, and what's actually happening now.  Remind him that you don't want it to become necessary for you to discover what your remedies are.

8. SoftCornHippo profile image59
    SoftCornHippoposted 14 years ago

About liars? Damn I'd fire em right off as soon as I KNOW they lyin'  - but if they're just makin' some subtle point about my bad breath, then, hell, I know what that's about!  A lie is a lie.  A fib is a fib.  A fib don't hurt nobody.  A lie is usually either to cover a crime or to be all malicious on my butt.  So I don't like it.  BUT whether kid or adult I usually remind em of the littleboywhocriedwolf and then I ask em "How I gonna KNOW when you tellin the truth, dude?"  If they walk away - I walk away.  If they never come back - good riddance.

9. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Lies play an important part of our society. Think i'm lieing? Think of the lies people use for good:
    Santa Claus coming to your house. Maybe the Easter bunny. There all lies.
    At the hospital, to your 13 year old son, "Is my father going to be ok" No one even knows at this point you say "Yes honey, he will be fine." What if it doesn't turn out fine? Then you lied and they know it.

People can't live without lies, if everything was truthful there would be a large outbreak of rage throughout the world at each other.

Personally, I try not to lie as often as possible.

~thranax~

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol, I don't lie.  I just don't answer. wink

10. torimari profile image66
    torimariposted 14 years ago

Kill 'em.

Nah.

Iono, I am not a trusting person so I am not surprised when people lie. I do remember though depending on what it is. It really depends on circumstance.

11. creativeone59 profile image68
    creativeone59posted 14 years ago

well, I try really hard not too, because God doesn't like liars, you can find it in the bible and explain it to them if they"re an adult but if it's a kid try to use the boy that cried wolf story and see if that works. but honestly just tell them it's better to be truthful so you  they don't get caught  up in a lie.         creativeone59

12. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

i'm pretty forgiving of my friends, but if a friend lies to me, especially more than once, i will pull away.

the best way to deal with contractors is to get everything in writing up front and make sure they are bonded and licensed.

as for children lying, i would sit down with them and get to the bottom of it to see why they felt safer lying than being truthful sad

13. profile image0
    LEWJposted 14 years ago

How do you deal with liars?     From the safest distance possible.

14. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I just shoot them smile

1. starme77 profile image75
      starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

haha good idea

15. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Well with holding all the information from a client is often a common practice. When you say ,"I think we can do it." and you haven't firmed up everything first thats survival.Then you scramble! I've found that clients lie as much or more than contractors. This can put a contractor in a difficult position trying to please someone who'll never be happy or they'll allways have one more demand. I'm told continuously that a job is an emergency, well in construction theres no emergencies especially when safety is concerned. IF someone is into you for money you still have to work with them even if you know they're being deceitfull.

16. repoprimo profile image76
    repoprimoposted 14 years ago

Liars, Wow what a topic! Parents lie to their kids daily, even so small it is called a "white lie" or harmless. A child hears parents on the phone, telling friends that they are ill and therefore can not particpate in what-ever is going on.

Then The child hears a parent talking about the latest sale at Mervyn's and has to be there between the hours when the parent should be at work.  What does the parent do? they call their employer and say that the child has a doctor's appointment on that day.

Kids are the product of what they witness.  If they witness enough lies, then they will lie.  My opinion, if the parent sets a better example for th ekids to follow, then maybe we would reduce the numbers of liars in our society.

17. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I would forgive them and guide them to try and get on the right path. Lying is taught , it does not come subconsciously or consciously.smile

1. sairu6 profile image61
      sairu6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

i choose this as best answer .

liars do so because - they are in need of something . if those people are that close to us - we must find out why they do so and help them find the other easy way .

those who say " we should punish liars " - it is better we punish our self coz - this statement  shows that  we are acting like we are the  perfect and genuine person in the world ( even acting is lie ).

believe me  most of the liars are not happy ( they live in guilty f.) my own experience.

18. zadrobi profile image60
    zadrobiposted 14 years ago

Lying is a necessary part of everyday.

There are different types of lying-- even a good kind.

Sometimes you lie to spare someone's feelings and sometimes you lie to make someone feel good about themselves-- you see where I'm going with this.

For the bad liars: a good spanking does the trick.

19. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Not all lying is equal.  Children of four or five are said to go through a developmental stage when they're in the process of sorting out, for themselves, the differences between fantasy, lies, the truth, etc.  Then, too, any kid who thinks he'll disappoint or anger an adult is likely to be unable to tell the truth.  (There are kids who just "tell it like it is" to parents, but they're often kids who don't really care what their parents think of them.  So, in a strange way, when a kid lies to a parent it can mean he doesn't want his parent to think less of him.  Yes, sometimes it's also that he doesn't want to get in trouble.  Kids don't have the kind of sureness about themselves that it takes to just tell the truth much of the time. 

As far as the innocent face goes, kids have an innocent face.  A lot of teens lie for the same reasons younger kids do.  Teens, though, sometimes lie because "they don't want to hear it" if they tell the truth about something they do/did.

Part of being a kid is doing stupid things and not always being able to just tell the truth when asked about it.  It takes self-confidence and maturity to do that.  When my kids would tell the occasional lie I'd let them know I "wasn't able to believe them" but that I knew all kids mess up.  Based on whatever the situation was, I'd decide on consequences and/or discussion.

As for the contractor, I think sometimes people say what they believe to be true, only to have circumstances change and have what they said turn out to be incorrect.  A little understanding is sometimes in order.

20. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I offer them a 'Fox's Glaciar Mint'.

21. repstrydiefly profile image65
    repstrydieflyposted 14 years ago

I think the best way to crack into a liar's truths is to use what you already know about them to use reverse psychology. Interests always bring out the truth in somebody, for if they are having fun or are interested in something they may blurt out something that they wouldn't usually want the world to know. Either that or they will keep being miserable, but hey, everybody lies and if they keep lying to people then their whole world will be a lie, and they will not know what is true or false. In other words they will be blind to reality, and will live in fear in their subconscious thinking.

By the way, this is coming from somebody who just recovered from a lie being lived from age 13 to 18, because I was confused with the situation I grew up in. And I was also ashamed of being me, so I always lied to be accepted. But now I found out that made it worse and worse, like being sucked into a black hole or something. So now I try my best to be truthful in any situation I am in, so I can live a happy life and be successful.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

good thing for you, you came to accept what you really are, always be proud of yourself and have self confidence

22. keira7 profile image59
    keira7posted 14 years ago

Cut their tongue out!!!!!

23. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

I allow them to continue digging a big hole for themselves, until they have no other choice than to come clean. smile

24. kmackey32 profile image63
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

Jack them in the jaw. smile

25. profile image49
    HealthTipposted 14 years ago

My Mum used to say you can catch a thief but it is harder to catch a liar, I think she was lying smile

Everybody Lies !

1. profile image0
      Pachuca213posted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes everyone does lie, whether they are big or smile.....

26. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 14 years ago

I rip their nuts off and feed them to the homeless or if I don't want to be sexist I still rip someones nuts off and slap the lying biyach with the nut sack!!!

1. profile image0

Someone sounds irate! smile

1. waynet profile image69
        waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep, no time for liars, for every lie told there are many truths going unnoticed!!

1. profile image0

I have to agree with that one!

27. profile image0
    Go Writerposted 14 years ago

A lie is never right, no matter how well-intentioned we meant to be. We should do our best to avoid lying. If we cannot, it's probably better to not say anything at all.

One half truth is still a lie, and all people lie.

We have to make a concerted effort to not do it.  It's a life-long endeavor.

28. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

the twin sister of lying is being honest...people lie for various reasons, so that they will feel good about themselves, they cant man up to face consequences and like little children, they dont want to hurt other peoples feelings, but isnt it you hurt them more if you dont tell the truth and they will learn it from other people?

29. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Why is a 6 yr old afraid of telling you the truth??

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sometimes they are afraid of the consequences of failing your expectations, they dont want you to be angry at them

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I understand, but for children usually empathy and compassion makes them feel safe ,and if someone feels safe ,they will then trust the adult smile just my experience raising 4 sons wink

1. profile image0

Yes you have to be approachable or they won't talk to you at all, and definitely won't tell the truth!

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
            Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Also children develop at different rates, all my sons were different ,and once I knew they understood the difference between truth and lies then I dealt with it appropriately.

Saying they never put the cat in the freezer for example(when they did) was punishable because they knew it was wrong, and why it was wrong........but using clogne or touching someone else property , I would handle it much differently wink

1. profile image0

thankfully with my boys they have a healthy fear of disappointing me so they always come clean. The oldest never lies and the youngest on occasion has, but he always comes to me to confess later with an honest and repentant heart. All kids are different. Honestly, showing love is the best way to conquer lying.

30. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I told my share of lies as a kid (not wanting to disappoint my parents or not wanting to "hear about it" when I was a teen).  Then I grew up to be someone who doesn't lie for the most part (only the occasional lie to work about a car that doesn't start - but that's only because I once was honest about oversleeping and my boss, at the time, got furious and said I didn't respect him enough to lie!  lol  Live and learn.)  In general, I about as honest as people get; so if a kid lies to me I just see it as something kids do, and if an adult lies to me I see it as his/her flaw and problem.  I don't like it, and I'll address it; but I'm someone who gets "buttons pushed" when someone lies.

Sometimes I think people who get their buttons pushed most are people who, themselves, lie a lot; and who hate in other people what they see in themselves (not always, of course, but I think it's common).  Sometimes, too, it's people who expect more information from others than they really have a right to.  hmm

31. repstrydiefly profile image65
    repstrydieflyposted 14 years ago

Why are you going to cut somebody's tongue off for lying, when you lie too. And if you don't I'm sure you have lied before in your life. What I'm saying is people make mistakes and they will never change unless you learn to forgive people. Love, respect, and forgiveness is all we need in this world. Whatever happened to the Golden Rule these days.

1. keira7 profile image59
      keira7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you really think that I mean or I will do that horrible crime ? I understand your comment because you dont know me, sorry if I offended any one. Next time I will know that some pepole may be confuse, if we forgot to write the word LOL, its a small word that could avoid a big argument.. So sorry again. God Bless you.smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)