jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

H ave You Ever Felt you were disrespected by others? in what way?

1. reymund profile image81
    reymundposted 6 years ago

There are some cases that we feel we are not given due respect.

2. 0
    collegecareerlifeposted 6 years ago

I am very petite and look young for my age, so I feel disrespected quite often.  I admit that I get defensive sometimes when I feel others are treating me like a child.  To overcome this problem, I try to make myself look as professional as possible by wearing well-fitting, professional clothing and by being assertive when I need to be.

3. reymund profile image81
    reymundposted 6 years ago

oh your cool collegecareerlife. I like your answer. you must be an optimist

4. Frugal Fanny profile image60
    Frugal Fannyposted 6 years ago

When I was pregnant, I felt that my boss at work was discriminating against me because of it.  Before I got pregnant, I could do no wrong in his eyes, but as soon as I told him I was pregnant, he started finding problems with everything I did.  Eventually, he cut my hours down to 0 (without firing me), and told me that he didn't have enough work for me....but then he would hire someone else to do what I was doing.  Eventually, I told him off and left the job.  Then, I lodged a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the Human Right Commission.

1. reymund profile image81
      reymundposted 6 years ago in reply to this

frugal fanny, i am so sorry abotu that. but it is good that you have done something to fight for your rights. i wish you could get another job better than before, find loyal workmates. goodluck

5. Lady_E profile image83
    Lady_Eposted 6 years ago

I can identify with Collegecareer as I teach too.

A few times it's been Men from (particular places in the world where women don't tell men what to do)

I always overlook it, as I don't want them spoiling my teaching session, then later sit them down and explain that I am not there to dictate to them, but to support/help. They soon change attitude and before the end of the Course, we get on well.

Another Lady, was disrespectful to me sometime ago (years back) and as usual I just held my cool and didn't even bother, cos I normally get on very well with students and it was obvious to all that she was in the wrong.

Well, the next day she walked into class with a bunch of flowers and apologised.

Just one of those things... There's always gonna be 1 or 2 people who will upset you at work. It happens.  smile

6. skristoff profile image59
    skristoffposted 6 years ago

Age has been the largest discriminator I've seen.  As a young engineer, my opinion was often passed over for that of a "greybeard", who had more experience than I did, even though my opinions may have been valid and indeed an improvement.

1. 0
      sneakorocksolidposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I give everybody a fair shot but often I find younger people don't realize the difference between youthful enthusiasum and knowledge.

1. skristoff profile image59
        skristoffposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Definitely true in many cases, but certainly not a universal truth.

7. Rochelle Frank profile image88
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

I guess I have never felt that way, because I have never thought of that question. Maybe I have never felt that I was important enough to feel especially respected.

On the other hand, I don't pay a lot of attention to what other people think of me personally, as long as I respect myself.