Is there any university specific for teaching ethics?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (13 posts)
  1. profile image57
    mpchekuriposted 14 years ago

I just want to know if there is any university to teach ethics to be followed by human beings. I would be surprised if one exists.

1. profile image0
      Dog On A Missionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ethics would be a part of a degree course in Philosophy.

Clearly, lots of universities teach Philosophy.

Will they teach anything useful there?

I doubt it.

2. tim-tim profile image71
    tim-timposted 14 years ago

Funny you asked:) You should read my hubs! I was thinking about the same thing.

3. The Rope profile image60
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

Harvard would tell you their whole program is geared to ethics.

4. Shealy Healy profile image60
    Shealy Healyposted 14 years ago

Good question. Most institutes have gotten away from teaching ethics. In order to create an ethical institute we might find a need to realign with the original purpose of education and that is...to obtain knowledge. I don't want to suggest that those who educate themselves in order to create a career are unethical. But, there might be more sincerity in an institute that is   epistemology focused. But...we do live in a culture where education leads to survival thus an institute created purely for the purpose of learning is not entirely realistic.

In Annapolis, MD there is a liberal arts college that uses only the great books.

5. Shealy Healy profile image60
    Shealy Healyposted 14 years ago

St. John's College is a liberal arts college with two U.S. campuses: one in Annapolis, Maryland and one in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Founded in 1696 as a preparatory school, King William's School, the school received a collegiate charter in 1784, making it one of the oldest institutions of higher learning in the United States. Since 1937, it has followed an unusual curriculum, the Great Books Program, based on discussion of works from the Western philosophic, scientific and literary canon; this program is probably that for which the school is best known.

The school grants only one bachelor's degree, in Liberal Arts. Two masters degrees are currently available through the college's Graduate Institute—one in Liberal Arts, which is a modified version of the undergraduate curriculum (differing mostly in that the graduate students do not take a language and are not restricted to a set sequence of courses), and a parallel course of studies in Eastern Classics, which applies most of the features of the undergraduate curriculum (seminars, preceptorials, language study and a set sequence of courses) to a list of classic works from India, China and Japan.

Despite its name, and the inclusion of Christian sacred texts and philosophers in its program, St. John's College has no religious affiliation.

6. barryrutherford profile image76
    barryrutherfordposted 14 years ago

Straight from the hip ethics are usually taught at length in as part of a Major in Philosophy.

As well most Law Schools would conduct ethics subjects.

Im pretty sure that goes for accounting & business as well...

7. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

shealy, I didn't know that about Great Books, I do have a set of them that I picked up at some library sale or book sale years ago.
    even college educated adults for the most part have not read the great works of early philosophers. It used to be be standard to be taught ethics in humanities and philosophy courses, not sure that happens now in the universities.

doesn't it seem either people have no ethics or they make up their own? it's really sad to see the intolerance that actually stems from ignorance, not stupid ignorance, but ignorance of other cultures, customs, universal laws, etc. I'm not sure the average person could even define ethics properly.

1. profile image0
      ArtKaliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes.  It's a sad state of affairs that most people have no idea what it means to be ethical.

8. ncmonroe1981 profile image60
    ncmonroe1981posted 14 years ago

Interesting someone should ask this one. I just finished a Master's level Ethics course at Argosy University, Sarasota. Also, during my time at the College of Notre Dame of Maryland, Ethics was huge part of the curriculum for Philosophy majors (of which I was one). Ethics was also a major concern of the curriculum for English majors. Perhaps it varies from institution to institution.

If you're interested in learning more about the kind of Ethics that was taught at the College of Notre Dame of Maryland, Google Dr. Stephen J. Vicchio and check out his work with the FBI and Police Departments throughout the United States regarding Ethics.

Apparently the teaching is rare, but still existent.

9. paul_gibsons profile image61
    paul_gibsonsposted 14 years ago

virtually all universities teach ethics; the problem is however that that is largely within the humanities or arts departments, the (natural- and applied-) sciences departments usually don't or only rarely do a little bit. In fact they pay very little attention to the humanities and social sciences ("the other side of campus", as we call it here in the science and engineering quarters), which is why they are having such great difficulty understanding why "people" don't simply accept their science and scientific findings or expect so much more of it..... "own goal" as we call that in football (proper football that is, soccer to many of you..)

10. Lita C. Malicdem profile image60
    Lita C. Malicdemposted 14 years ago

Your inquiry about institutions teaching specifically about ethics is beyond my area as I taught in public elementary school. But if it be of help I might say, yes, even at this level, our education sector sees to it that the young are taught what  we call "values". Lessons are "value-oriented" so that they carry from beginning to end the particular value to be developed along with the subject content,  with the end in view that the students eventually internalize the value and be ready to enter their higher-level ethical academe. This seems not to be a sure-fire approach to bringing into the world children with normal ethical behavior, though. Many factors work against, the question of "internalizing" the value, has no end.

11. Izzy Anne profile image60
    Izzy Anneposted 14 years ago

I would agree with Paul Gibbons that ethics is taught at most universities in some way or other.  There is of course a difference between teaching a specific type of ethics, e.g. what being good means to Christians, and teaching about how people reach ethical decisions and how they support their arguments.  The latter is often taught as part of philosophy.  The best book I know of, is Singer's Practical ethics.

Another argument would be that ethics is taught everywhere and where it is not taught as such, in science or computer stuff, ethics is still implied.  So a scientist will be taught that science has the highest value or that science should be used in all areas of life, which is in itself an ethical value.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)