jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

photosynthesis

1. dinkan53 profile image77
    dinkan53posted 7 years ago

That green plants can produce their own food by photosynthesis using sunlight is common knowldge. But if someone claims that an organism can acquire the ability to photosynthesise simply by eating plants one would laugh at it. Is it true?

1. profile image0
      thetruthhurts2009posted 7 years ago in reply to this

The real question is how could  photosynthesis ever evolve?

2. DogSiDaed profile image60
      DogSiDaedposted 7 years ago in reply to this

This does not work. Simply eating plants does not give one different genetics. This code stays the same and our bodies will react in the same way, we are not photoautotrophs, and cannot gain this ability by eating plants. To say this would true would be like saying that if you eat fish you can breathe underwater smile

1. sensu0s profile image62
        sensu0sposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Nice explanation and I completely agree smile

3. Pr0metheus profile image60
      Pr0metheusposted 7 years ago in reply to this

When I was attending high school there was a biology teacher who would drink chlorophyll in an attempt to photosynthesize... it never worked.

P.S. And by that logic, wouldn't every herbivore be able to photosynthesize?

1. sensu0s profile image62
        sensu0sposted 7 years ago in reply to this

lol

2. Leelin profile image61
    Leelinposted 7 years ago

Yeah I think so.

1. dinkan53 profile image77
      dinkan53posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I heard that animal can!is there any evidence for this?

1. Leelin profile image61
        Leelinposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I'm not too sure?

3. DogSiDaed profile image60
    DogSiDaedposted 7 years ago

It is worth noting that some bacteria can photosynthesise however smile

4. paul_gibsons profile image59
    paul_gibsonsposted 7 years ago

no, simply by eating plants an animal will not be "converted". That doesn't mean though that interesting associations cannot occur, although I am hard-put to think of one involving an animal and a plant at the moment. Certainly some plants that cannot photosynthesize use others that can and form a frequently but not always mutually dependent or beneficial permanent bond.

Another question is of course COULD it occur.... never say never. There are some odd examples (or in the view of some, odd theories) that show that a coming together of two organisms at the cellular level can or could result in one single independent organism from then on. Margulis's Endosymbiotic Theory is a nice example of that. Might not seem much, two cells but... those cells multiplied together make you and me, animals, plants.... if she was right (she was very pretty and married to Carl Sagan but that isn't quite enough evidence...).

working