jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)

Help me find the lost treasure of King Kamehameha!

1. 0
    sandra rinckposted 6 years ago

Legend says that when King Kamehameha died in 1819, his treasure was buried with him but where (so it says) baffles historians and treasure hunters alike.

The legend as I have heard it on Hawaii (the big island) is that he and his treasure are buried near Waipo or in Waipo valley and that treasure is worth more than you can count.

The lost treasure is not only significant to Hawaii but to historians because some of the treasure that is said to be buried with King Kameha (for short) is the plundered possessions of Captain Cook.

Now, from what I understand, you wont find much about Captain Cook in the history books however the entire Island chain was originally named after his exploration on the Islands.

The other place that legend and natives say the treasure could be buried is in Kawai but I am more interested in hunting the treasure on Hawaii since it was King Kameha's birth place and would seem more traditional to bury him and his treasure either at Mauna Loa or Mauna Kae.

Another legend says that his body and treasure were given to Pele the volcano goddess.

Anyways, help me find the treasure! 

Right now I am thinking that since no one else has found it, it might be impossible or it just doesn't exist but it would sure make a great adventure.

What else could I look up to find clues?

2. Misha profile image74
    Mishaposted 6 years ago

Do you feel like Pele My Goddess? wink

1. 0
      sandra rinckposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Sometimes, they say that Mauna Loa erupts every 25 years, that being this year.  So don't piss me off! lol smile

3. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 6 years ago

You are Joking of Course!
    What do you need to know about James Cook? 
    He does afterall have some bearing on New Zealand's history!

1. 0

Because he explored the Hawaiian Islands and was killed here and legend says his possessions were plundered.

What do you know about it?

4. 0
    Ghost32posted 6 years ago

Sandra, I don't know enough about Captain Cook to be much help but do know you're probably right to write off Kauai as a treasure-burial island.  Unless the gods are being ironic--since Kamehameha kept trying to conquer Kauai and the kahunas on Kauai kept magically sinking his war canoe fleets before they could arrive.

If you do find the treasure, let's hope it's not cursed like Pele's curse on lava from the Big Island for those who steal a piece to take home....big_smile

1. 0

Great info. Ghost!  For some reason I have it in my head that he did eventually conquer Kawai.  I will definitely look into it. 

And yes, if I do find it I hope it aint cursed either. yikes

1. 0
        Ghost32posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well, Sandra, I've been wrong before.  Let me know.

1. 0

Well Kauai was not conquered but was negotiated and came under rule of King Kameha in 1810.  smile

5. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 6 years ago

I'm a Kiwi Sandra..... Check out his relevance to NZ.
    He was in the Sandwich Islands documenting the transit of Venus with his scientist friend Joseph Banks.
    He had been there twice before and had had a good relationship with the locals.
    On his third trip:
    ONLY His landing (including Cook) were attacked and killed by the natives after one of his crewmen (a newbie) fired on the natives first.
    They did not plunder any treasure; though his uniform was probably considered to be 'treasure' to the natives.
    They did not board his ship and Cook was not carrying treasure!
    He was on a scientific voyage.
    BTW: it was James Cook who claimed NZ for the Queen.

What would you like to know about the rest of the world??? lol

1. 0

The treasure I am referring to is his navigational stuff, guns, lead etc... and I already know that part of the story so tongue lol

1. Pearldiver profile image86
        Pearldiverposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Oh Sandra.... You are way too late tongue
        A kiwi expedition secured 'the treasure' in 1985, while in the islands consulting the locals on the benefits of claiming soveignty against it's annexation by the US. yikes
        That group were paid for their advice in the form of 'found' artifacts, which included a pair of badly skidded Undies... said to have belonged to Capt Cook. tongue  lol

1. 0

Where did they find it?  I heard of the expedition to recover his vessel somewhere between Maui and Hawaii but failed.

Who says the natives weren't paid with stuff they already had?  And anyways, I want to look for (if at all possible) King Kameha's buried treasures that is said to consist also of Capt. Cooks 'stuff' too.

6. sensu0s profile image65
    sensu0sposted 6 years ago

All the best for the treasure hunt tongue

7. 0
    ralwusposted 6 years ago

Sandra, remember your thread about ghosts? Beware! LOL