jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

"I know that I know nothing." Was Socrates' assertion correct?

1. avangend profile image60
    avangendposted 6 years ago

There have been some hubs and forums that attack the fringes of the topic of absolutism, usually in a religious vein. However, I think the topic is worth exploring, since there is so much dispute over it.

Can we "know" anything? Are there any facts or assertions that are completely indisputable? Is knowledge something static, or is it always evolving into something more (or less) accurate?

Please keep this discussion civil: no name calling, insults, or indefensible rants. If you have something to say, please say it in a reasonable context. Thanks.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image88
      Mikel G Robertsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The only 'absolutes' that I would call that are 'Everything' and 'Nothing'. beyond that I'm not sure...

2. rhamson profile image76
      rhamsonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't know that I agree with Socrates' assertion but I do realize that as I get older, I understand how little I do know.

2. avangend profile image60
    avangendposted 6 years ago

My personal opinion is that nothing is outside the scope of being questioned - though some things could be considered somewhat pointless. Gravity, for example, could be disputed, I suppose - but unless you have a strongly supported, verifiable alternative, then there is little reason to question that gravity exists in the way we currently understand it.

I also think that knowledge tends to progress, on average, in a positive direction: one that comes closer to underlying "truth."

3. PrettyPanther profile image85
    PrettyPantherposted 6 years ago

I agree with Socrates' statement.  What we currently "know" is, as you said, always evolving, therefore we can never really know anything for absolute certainty.