jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

Should Sex Ed. worksheets be sent home?

1. sasanqua profile image88
    sasanquaposted 6 years ago

Some students at the school I work at were going to take worksheets home on various sex ed topics they were learning about. Another teacher saw this, and took the worksheets out of their bags, without discussing this with the class teacher first. These kids have special needs and they didn't question what she was doing, nor did they tell their teacher.

I was against this for two reasons: Firstly, it was not up to the other teacher to decide whether certain worksheets should be sent home or not. Secondly all kids, especially those with special needs, must learn about sex education. By taking sex ed worksheets home, it encourages their parents to discuss these issues with their kids as well. Again, this is particularly important for kids with special needs.

Any thoughts?

1. TheGlassSpider profile image79
      TheGlassSpiderposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It surprises me that a teacher would do something so intrusive and unprofessional to a co-worker. What a mess. I can understand if the teacher who took the worksheets had some sort of problem with them, but it would have been more appropriate to talk to the sex ed teacher and perhaps administration as well. Removing the worksheets was uncalled for. Assuming that the sheets were indeed a normal part of the standard curriculum.

2. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 6 years ago

If they are learning it in school then the parents should be aware of it in order to reinforce the information and provoke discussion at home.

3. moanalisa profile image61
    moanalisaposted 6 years ago

The teacher who removed such material from the students must be quite ignorant. These kids are human beings, too, and are likely (no age was mentioned) to develop some sexual urges. It is not up to that one teacher to decided whether or not that material is open to discussion with the parents.

While it is respectable of schools to help provide materials that parents can use as tools to help guide their children, I do feel ultimately the responsibility lies with the parent to teach certain things.

Either way, I do feel it was wrong of that teacher to intervene in the manner he/she did.

1. sasanqua profile image88
      sasanquaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The students are teenage boys, and they're already developing sexual urges, and displaying inappropriate sexual behaviour. I agree, parents should definitely be involved with their child's education, and at the very least they should be aware of what is actually being taught!

2. VampireAlice profile image60
      VampireAliceposted 6 years ago in reply to this

i agree teachers are ignorant. they do stupid crap.
      like i was in 7th grade middle school, my freind and i were having a private disscusion on sex(on a note) she took it up and wrote me up for it and not her. We were talking about our desitions.
      She pulled me over to the side and told me i should wait to have sex till im married but in my head as normal i was repeating "i will have sex when im ready and you cant stop me"
      i wanted to punch her in the jaw for trying to act like my mother.
      Im 17 now and i am still a virgin to this very day, not because of her but, because im not ready for it yet and a plan on waiting for the right guy first.

4. 0
    lyricsingrayposted 6 years ago

5. EFPotter profile image61
    EFPotterposted 6 years ago

It was completely inappropriate for the teacher to remove the worksheets. If I were the sex ed teacher, I'd have the administration all over that. It's just unacceptable to interfere with education.

Teenage guys are hard to control. Many people with special needs have behavioral problems. If you combine the two and the children are behaving badly in a sexual manner, it is absolutely necessary for the parents to talk with them, just like it is for those without special needs, probably more since many with behavioral problems don't know what they're doing is wrong.

6. Ivorwen profile image83
    Ivorwenposted 6 years ago

If something is going to be taught in the school, but kept from the parents, then there is something seriously wrong with what is being taught!

7. VampireAlice profile image60
    VampireAliceposted 6 years ago

Yeah, they should sex is important in a teens life and they need to learn to be safe.

8. 0
    sneakorocksolidposted 6 years ago

This should be a class that can be reviewed by parents.