jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

1. Whitney05 profile image68
    Whitney05posted 8 years ago

My statistics homework is giving me a headache!

Anyone know how to do correlation matrixes in excel?
    How about mutiple regression models?

I have 4 columns of data (year/age, city, price, miles)

I think I missed this in the lesson. :-( I don't have time to reread it all.

2. vreccc profile image60
    vrecccposted 8 years ago

did you try Google? I was about to google this stuff for you, but then thought I would check with you first.

My wife is working on her MBA and we have worked together on some crazy Excel stuff. You don't even want to know. Good thing when I took statistics excel wasn't on the market yet.

Now.. I have to go find my hamster. He escaped again last night. Funny, my cats don't bother him. They chase him around but don't hurt him.

3. Whitney05 profile image68

Yea. :-( I haven't googled it yet. I tend not  to have the best look googling statistics help. I emailed the teacher about one assignment, so hopefully he'll get back to me because I think it will really help with both assignments.

I know how to do the concepts, but I have a chart of multiple data and I'm not sure how to compare it all, or really what to compare. I just did the price and miles, but then I'm not sure what the point of the rest of it was. I just hope my professor gets back to me in time.

I just hope I pass thie semester. I don't want to have to redo statistics 2.

Hamsters tend to go to dark warm places. I usually found mine in the close or curled under the freezer, as thewas a freezer in the bedroom at my boyfriend's place.

My dog is like that with my rats. She mother's them when they're out.

4. Inspirepub profile image88
    Inspirepubposted 8 years ago

Hi, Whitney,

If you know how to do formulas in Excel, making a correlation matrix is just a long, tedious process of putting a formula in each cell. There is probably a pre-existing formula in the Excel pick list for correlation, so you just [aste it in each cell and point it at your data columns.

Set up 4x4, with your 4 variables on each side, each one correlates 1 with itself, and then work out correlations between the other pairs.

The two sides of the diagonal of 1s will be the same, so you only need to calculate one half.

Do you have to do it in Excel?

Because there are stats packages around that will do the lot at the push of a button.

Too long since I did stats in anger for me to have a recommendation out of the ones available now - we used a horrible old one on a mainframe when I was teaching at uni.

But I know there are some pretty useful ones around now.

5. Whitney05 profile image68

The homework has to eb done in excel. I just gave up on the correlation matrix. I used the correlation tool, but it only compares two columns. I had no idea about the other columns. I didn't know how to do a matrix with it. I couldn't find it in the book either. I kind of gave up. I have a feeling I'm taking Statistics 2 again next semester. I need to go ahead and register for it and cancel it when I get my grades in.

Thanks for the help.

6. About-The-Home profile image59
    About-The-Homeposted 8 years ago

98% of people can't understand statistics and I'm one of them, and like all good statistics that one's made up!

7. buckywildcat profile image60
    buckywildcatposted 8 years ago

Hi Jenny -

You need to make sure you have the Analysis Tool Pack installed in Excel.  I think you go to Tools --> Add-ins (probably better instructions on microsoft's website).

Here is a link for a site with some good examples, maybe this will help:  http://www.inductive.com/help-doc-correl.htm#comp

The site is for some different software, but near the bottom they have some samples to create correlation matrices with more than two variables.

good luck.

8. Maddie Ruud profile image82
    Maddie Ruudposted 8 years ago

My dad's an econometrician, so by all rights I ought to be able to answer your question, but unfortunately, I'm not the right person to ask.  I was very ill in highschool and missed the entire second half of my junior year.  Don't ask me how I passed AP Statistics with a C, having done no homework and never showing up...