Can the students carry the gun to the school?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (28 posts)
  1. gnrao profile image60
    gnraoposted 14 years ago

what do we gain  by showing the western bang bang movies and action movies of killing,stabbing, and shooting?

we also show computer and video games only of violence.

why do we sow the seeds of violence in the minds of our future generation?

If you sow beans,you can get beans and they are useful to human-kind.

If we sow the seeds of violence and gun culture  what can we get back,as harvest?

what's the use of blaming the younger ones later?

1. profile image0
      L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't blame video games. They only effect those who have a violent disposition in the first place.

In the UK, in the past 20 years, there have been only two Video Game related deaths (mimicing)

Now if you think about the number of kids who accidentally killed themselves trying to fly like superman it's huge. Superman is not violent.

It's down to stupidity of parents and children at the end of the day.

2. de'Arab profile image55
      de'Arabposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it's the western culture that influences these types of behavior. You don't hear cases like these anywhere else in the world.

2. Alessia Amnesia profile image60
    Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years ago

lol I'm sorry. I find this thread amusing. Visualizations of desperate housewives holding picket signs come to mind. You know the type. They clean the house, they make dinner, they drag their family to church, they give their children anything and everything under the sun and still wonder, "Where did I go wrong? Well, I'm perfect. It must be the video games and movies that are making my child act like this!"

Well, did you ever notice that the "perfect housewife" never really TALKS to her children? They need to go beyond "How was your day at school?" and actually get INVOLVED with their child's life! Encourage an open relationship where the child can ask them anything and they will answer honestly!

So many people are ashamed to have real conversations with their children about sex, violence, and problems.

A phone call to the school doesn't fix everything. Sure, it fixes some things, but actually getting your child to understand is most important! And I doubt that the school is going to make them understand anything.

Parents who blame things like television, movies, and video games need to re-evaluate their parenting skills and get more involved with their children's lives!

1. PeytonFarquhar profile image61
      PeytonFarquharposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Outstanding reply, Alessia!

2. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
      Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Alessia, you have hit it on the head. We are witnessing the death of personal responsibility in this country...one of the primary concepts we were founded on.

OP, in addition to the very cogent remarks already made, I would add that a person has the choice to act in a certain way be it evil or kind. If they make that choice to be evil, then they will have to meet consequences. Saying that we cannot blame them is the sort of thinking that leads us down the wrong path which ultimately will result in a larger problem.

Restore the home and family unit and do not continue handing out entitlements. It's the "teach a man to fish" parable, but we keep giving him fish instead.

EDIT: And guns don't matter. They aren't part of the problem. More guns, less guns...makes little difference since guns are machines that require a human operator.

3. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Alessia-I agree totally society and culture are easy scapegoat for the lack of parenting and coping skills it takes to raise children.

4. qwark profile image59
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

Yes! An "adult" who has passed a State certified "carry license" program should be allowed to carry a concealed handgun to college level classes.

1. Dao Hoa profile image62
      Dao Hoaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why? Why should one be allowed? Why do one need to carry a gun to college?

1. qwark profile image59
        qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dao:
        You seem to forget that a few years ago, an asian fellow walked into a college classroom and murdered the professor and many of the students.
        IF..there had been a trained, legally armed person in that classroom, the possibility exists that the shooter could have been taken down with less loss of life.
        I am a licensed and trained person who carries a concealed firearm. I carry it and will use it if my life or the life of others is at stake....and only for those reasons.

5. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

what?

6. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I think there should be designated teachers and professors with firearms to help stop an idiot with a gun and bad intentions.

7. Ron Montgomery profile image62
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

Yessir, crystal clear to me.  If we simply flood the country with firearms we'll all be safer.  Better yet, let's require everyone to carry at least a semi-automatic pistol at all times.

Wow! It would be like we all died and went to NRA heaven.

1. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ron:
      lolol "idiocy" doesn't deserve a response.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image62
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And yet I continue to respond to it....

1. Arthur Fontes profile image74
          Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Burn!!!

2. Akhomesteader profile image73
      Akhomesteaderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yup just like the Swiss..a lot of guns little crime. Most Swiss homes have at least one fully automatic weapon. I fully agree with AA it is all about parental responsibility. It was nothing to see 10 or 12 rifles & shotguns leaning against the wall in the principles office when I went to school in the 60's. There weren't any school shooting. Teachers were allowed to use corporal punishment to maintain discipline in the classrooms. The punishment was usually repeated when the child got home that night. I would much rather spend family time hunting or plinking than sitting in front of the TV or playing a bunch or mindless video games.

Toss the TV and video games out and take responsibility for your children, your children will be the better for it.

1. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well that sounds like a fun time.

NOT

how is terrorizing our children making them good citizens?

they used to say television caused violent behavior in children, now they say video games do. what's the next scapegoat, text messaging?

these cases of violence are rare and isolated, which is why they are so sensational.

1. Akhomesteader profile image73
          Akhomesteaderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How are they terrorized? The point is parental responsibility. TV and Video games in and of themselves are not the bad guy. They are bad because parents use them to do what the parent should be doing. Spending time with their child.

8. profile image49
    curioxatposted 14 years ago

Guns should be banned everywhere, period.

1. EFPotter profile image60
      EFPotterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Carrying a gun isn't always legal--you need to be licensed and registered. So, if those illegal guns are banned and illegal, but people still have them, then what good does that really do anyone at all? If someone wants a gun for a shady purpose, they're going to get a gun through shady means. Laws don't mean anything until after a crime has been committed.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Really, you don't say? roll But, better yet, do you know why?

Illegal guns are banned? What guns might you be talking about? No gun is illegal. The person carrying it is illegal. The gun itself is legally manufactured

That's is precisely what makes a legal gun in the possession of someone not legally allowed to have one. Hence, illegal. roll

Laws if obeyed, mean everything. roll

When I was saying "if those illegal guns are banned and illegal" I was talking about the hypothetical situation the person I replied to proposed in which all guns everywhere are banned.

9. NewYorker profile image59
    NewYorkerposted 14 years ago

I would like to start off by pointing out it's not just movies and video games.

Yes, the multimedia is the biggest affect on our children and teenagers. But what's causing this is peer pressure and outside influences; i.e. friends.

Kids today are insane. I work with mentally ill kids up to 16 hours a day, and I can tell you they are in-fucking-sane.

It's not just video games and movies, it's their sick, tormented friends.

Well, if you're working with mentally ill kids, I think you're going to have a bit of a slant toward what you consider "in-fucking-sane" in the sample size.

"Friends" are people. You can't just make one person an individual, and the people around him a group. It had to start somewhere.

I say, the majority of the blame sits with the parents. If you buy your eight year old Grand Theft Auto and never bother to explain the difference between games and reality, then say "kids will be kids" when he "accidentally" hurts someone, that's your bad as a parent, and it only gets worse.

When parents are involved and talk with and teach their offspring, many negative influences can be greatly tempered.

10. bojanglesk8 profile image59
    bojanglesk8posted 14 years ago

Strong hubs to followers ratio.

11. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

no kidding.

ANYTHING used as a substitute for active parental involvement is a bad idea, not just video games.

you don't think guns on the walls or beating kids at school and then their anticipation of the same thing from mon & dad when they get home doesn't terrorize them?

all righty then.

i raised a wonderful child and never once laid a finger on him.

OH and he played whatever video game he wanted, so there.

12. Akhomesteader profile image73
    Akhomesteaderposted 14 years ago

Where did I say anything about beating a child? There is a big difference between discipline and beating.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)