jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (15 posts)

Pluto - or not Pluto... the Kuiper Belt showdown

1. Mighty J-Kep profile image80
    Mighty J-Kepposted 6 years ago

Out in the belt, we find planetoids that are larger than our own Pluto.

1. LeslieAdrienne profile image81
      LeslieAdrienneposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You do know that Pluto has been down-sized in the last few months.....
      We used to teach the order of planets by learning this statement:
                    My very excellent mother just sent us nine pizzas....

Now that pluto has lost its status I suppose we will have to change the statement to something like this:
                      My very eccentric mother just sent us nothing...

Do you think this will work? smile big_smile smile

2. dipless profile image86
    diplessposted 6 years ago

Not really sure what you are trying to ask? Yes there are objects larger than Pluto but at the time of writing I think only 2 Xena another dwarf planet and Eris, which is actually a spread object NOT a dwarf planet, which is the official category for Pluto.

3. Chloe Comfort profile image60
    Chloe Comfortposted 6 years ago

Sorry, growing up I was taught that Pluto was one of the planets in our Solar System. No matter how they classify it, I will always consider it the 9th planet - dwarf or not smile

1. yoshi97 profile image89
      yoshi97posted 6 years ago in reply to this

The only reason it's no longer classified a planet (so I heard) is because it doesn't clear its own orbital path of debris. And I too still think Pluto should be a planet ... sad

4. dipless profile image86
    diplessposted 6 years ago

me too smile for historical sense it will almost always be classified that way smile

5. 0
    sneakorocksolidposted 6 years ago

They can call Pluto a barn-fart but it will always be a planet to me!big_smile

6. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 6 years ago

I've always liked Goofy better, actually.

1. 0
      A Texanposted 6 years ago in reply to this

7. Flightkeeper profile image79
    Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago

Ever since Pluto was downgraded to a dwarf star, I've been suspicious of our solar system.

8. wyanjen profile image85
    wyanjenposted 6 years ago

Yes, it's not just the size of the object- it's the behavior as well. I've heard that the definition of "planet" (which excluded Pluto once it was established) is being re-considered.
    New Horizons - launched by NASA - will arrive to study Pluto in 2015. Lots of people think by then, it will be considered a planet once more. smile

1. LeslieAdrienne profile image81
      LeslieAdrienneposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm rooting for reinstatement.....do you think they will issue a certificate this time?

9. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 6 years ago

My experience of astrodrama, both my own and the dramas of other people, has shown Pluto have an influence. Chiron also has been extremely important.

It doesn't matter to me that neither are considered planets. They have their significance.

10. 60
    elemantalposted 6 years ago

Pluto is a planet whether or not so considered lately... and in any case they could reverse their desision some time inthe future, clasifying pluto a planet again.
    Anyway, how the astronomical union clasifies planets,realy means nothing in cosmic terms.

11. Beelzedad profile image60
    Beelzedadposted 6 years ago

Probably doesn't matter much. We just happened to be able to see Pluto with limited technology, now we can see much further and clearer and have come to realize Pluto was part of something else. It would be nice to reinstate it as a planet, for old times sake. smile