jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)

Trainer killed at Sea World

1. 1974 profile image60
    1974posted 6 years ago

Sad story, you have to Google it for yourself.

2. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

tragic, just read it in NYT.  I've seen those shows, you always wonder...  very sad.

3. Flightkeeper profile image80
    Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago

It's horrible.  Just goes to show that you can't take even zoo reared wild animals for granted.

4. 0
    sneakorocksolidposted 6 years ago

Very, very sad.

5. Andrea Hanly profile image61
    Andrea Hanlyposted 6 years ago

If a dog kills someone, it gets put down. If a whale does it, he lives to do it again, which this one apparently did. Makes no sense.

1. paul_gibsons profile image61
      paul_gibsonsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

what makes no sense Andrea? that the dog is put down or that the whale isn't? it really is all to do with our ambivalence with "nature"; on the one hand we love it, on the other it is damn scary at times. As I describe in my cougar epitaph hub, we want to keep the cuddly bits and eradicate whatever frightens us. It's ok that it lives and in the wild but not too close to me please... so we muddle along, torn between our love of nature, "animal rights", our need to be entertained and loved, and our desire to be "awed" but safe... As Obelix would say: "ils sont fous ces humains...

2. Rafini profile image81
      Rafiniposted 6 years ago in reply to this

although unfortunate, it does actually make sense.
      a dog has access to the general population with or without fencing/leashes.  a whale doesn't.

but this does go to show wild animals of any kind are dangerous and the people who work with them have to be aware of the dangers.

3. theherbivorehippi profile image83
      theherbivorehippiposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It isn't the whale's fault.  This is what society gets for trying to use a wild animal for entertainment.  If the whale was to be put down you better believe protesters would be right there.  Humans don't have the right to kill an animal that was acting within its natural instinct.  These are wild animals.  People should stop trying to control something that isn't meant to control.  This includes zoos and circuses as well!

6. Hokey profile image59
    Hokeyposted 6 years ago

I don't care how well you think you have trained it it is still a wild animal.  neutral

Not to be used for amusement.  sad

1. 0
      moonphlowerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

2. 0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Some animals are not meant for domestication, but people, for some reason, are always interested in figuring out ways to control other creatures. I enjoy watching television shows like "Big Cat Diaries" because the camera people do not interfere with their normal lives, but circuses and places like Sea World are rather upsetting.

7. 0
    Ghost32posted 6 years ago

Remember "Free Willie"?  Not until that movie did I realize that those awesome top-fins of Orcas in captivitiy DROOP over time, while never-restrained, wild Orcas have fins that stand straight up. 

Freedom is important to more than just humans, it would seem....

8. 0
    Tilecleaninghubposted 6 years ago

If it was a dog then it would be put down that is for sure.  But it is a valuable asset.  Supposebly this is pretty much the stud whale that they use for getting female whales pregnant.  At first I thought they should just put it down but now I realize it is not the whales fault.  Also I also heard that the whale just pulled the females hair and thought this was a new toy.  Regardless it is cruel to keep whales in such a confined area.