jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (16 posts)

American Hero!! Forgotten by media!!!

1. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 6 years ago

You're a 19 year old kid.
    You're critically wounded and dying in the jungle somewhere in the Central Highlands of Viet Nam .

It's November 11, 1967.
    LZ (landing zone) X-ray.

Your unit is outnumbered 8-1 and the enemy fire is so intense, from 100 yards away, that your CO (commanding officer) has ordered the MediVac helicopters to stop coming in.

You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine    s and you know you're not getting out.
    Your family is half way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll never see them again.

As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day.

Then - over the machine     noise - you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter.
    You look up to see a Huey coming in. But ... It doesn't seem real because no Medi-Vac markings are on it.

Captain Ed Freeman is coming in for you.

He's not Medi-Vac so it's not his job, but he heard the radio call and decided he's flying his Huey down into the machine     fire anyway.

Even after the Medi-Vacs were ordered not to come.
    He's coming anyway.

And he drops it in and sits there in the machine     fire, as they load 3 of you at a time on board.
    Then he flies you up and out through the    fire to the doctors and nurses and safety.

And, he kept coming back!! 13 more times!! Until all the wounded were out. No one knew until the mission was over that the Captain had been hit 4 times in the legs and left arm.

He took 29 of you and your buddies out that day. Some would not have made it without the Captain and his Huey.

Medal of Honor Recipient, ..

May God Rest His Soul.

I bet you didn't hear about this hero'spassing, but we've sure seen a whole bunch about Michael Jackson and Tiger Woods.

Medal of Honor Winner
    Captain Ed Freeman

Shame on the American media !!!

http://trekspace.ning.com/profiles/blog … e=activity

1. prettydarkhorse profile image64
      prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

thank you hokey, what a nice tribute to a man forgotten by media, UNSUNG HERO! thumbs up!

2. 0
    sophsposted 6 years ago

You're so right! These are the sorts of things that should be in the media! Not pointless things about 'celebs'. You should make this into a hub Hokey! smile

3. 0
    Justine76posted 6 years ago

thanks for telling this Hokey!

1. Hokey profile image60
      Hokeyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You are very welcome!  smile

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
        Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Please do it Hokey. The horrors of war create many heroes who go unsung.
        I had an uncle who was a WWII vet in the Pacific.
        He rarely talked about his experiences, but my cousins found medals  for bravery that we never knew about until after he died.

4. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

I would much rather hear about these people than celebrities.
    maybe you can start a series of hubs about american heroes.

1. Hokey profile image60
      Hokeyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That's a great idea!   smile

5. 0
    Lecieposted 6 years ago

my uncle was in that war. he has agent orange cancer from it. but because he was so distressed after the war he turned to drugs. now that the cancer is killing him the government will not help him due to his drug problem which was a side affect of their war. my uncle is dieng and the government will not even give him vet pay to leave his family. his kids will lose their father who fought bravely in that war and have nothing to show for it. he took pictures while he was over there and when he came home they were all confinscated by the army. he never had a chance to prove how much he suffered. he is still suffering and the american people could careless about him.

6. Ohma profile image81
    Ohmaposted 6 years ago

I actually wrote a hub about my husband who served and was injured while serving in this war. It is an absolute disgrace the way these men and women were and are being treated by the government and the media. They are heros each and everyone but you sure wouldn't know it by the way they are treated here.

7. readytoescape profile image59
    readytoescapeposted 6 years ago

You may note, that many now “leading” the democratic party and the major media in this country were members of the groups and organizations that despised and spit upon those very soldiers during those years.

These people were disgraceful then, allowing them to continue and be tolerated is more than appalling.

We are fortunate enough to have the same type heroes today, more in my opinion than we did before, but the same crowd keeps putting them down.

These men, all of them deserve recognition, and a whole hell of alot more then just a wall.

8. 0
    Crazdwriterposted 6 years ago

Wow Hokey that is really sad...I hate when the heros are forgetton makes me sad...

9. readytoescape profile image59
    readytoescapeposted 6 years ago

Hokey, good job. Many folks may remember his deeds as they were portrayed in the Mel Gibson movie “We Were Soldiers” about Colonel Hal Moore and the 7th Air Cav.
    Capt Freeman was nicknamed “Too Tall” which was used as the character name in the film. And he was one of several chopper pilots that braved enemy fire to not only bring out the wounded but bring in supplies and ammunition.

Freeman was a wingman for Major Bruce Crandall who also received the Medal of Honor for the same missions.

And though initially recommended for this award at the time, Freeman did not receive it.
    Apparently and oddly after the movie came out, he was formally presented with the Medal of Honor, by President George W. Bush on July 16, 2001.

10. 0
    Crazdwriterposted 6 years ago

Hokey you should seriously make this into a hub. That would make a great hub!

11. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 6 years ago

I am going to start working on it. smile

12. 0
    lyricsingrayposted 6 years ago

He is certainly not forgotten here, and by many