What Do You Expect from your Child's School?

1. 60
    dragonrider32posted 6 years ago

One of the primary problems in education today is expectations. The expectations of what parents expect from their child’s school…and the expectations that schools have for their students and their parents. School and home working together can be a very positive and powerful force. School and home misunderstanding each other, misinterpreting the other, or acting like they are in conflict in front of children can also be one of the most negative things that can happen to a child. Both the school and the parents have an obligation to reach out and make sure that doesn’t happen. They have the obligation to communicate honestly without recrimination or negative attitudes. Children watch what their parents, teachers and principals do and say and how they act to and react to each other. Teaching a child truly does begin with our actions as educators and parents. Actions indeed DO speak louder than words. Get to know your child’s school, their teachers and get involved. There is no easy way to insure the best educational opportunities for your child.

1. Georzetta profile image82
      Georzettaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes,communication is necessary and useful-sometimes. As an educator, nothing makes me crazier than a parent who contacts me about information that I have already sent home!

I also wish my parents understood that I don't have all the time in the world to discuss their child. They may have one or two children. I often have 60 a semester.

I do appreciate it when parents let me know that their child is having a hard time emotionally. Then I can make adjustments to assignments. I don't have to know the family's entire history or any particular details. Just let me know that your child is feeling stressed in my class in particular or having a tough time with some family issues.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

I totally agree. Parents who come to school or talk to the teacher ONLY when there is a problem, aren't helping anyone. I was fortunate that my kids had good schools. And I'm glad my grandkids are homeschooled.