jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (15 posts)

What is the most important thing...

1. Beelzedad profile image61
    Beelzedadposted 6 years ago

As a child growing up, what is the most important or one of the most important things your parents or teachers told you that changed your way of thinking or your life at that time?

When I was about 5-6, I was told:

"No son, children SHOULD be heard and seen."  smile

1. Rainbow Pride profile image60
      Rainbow Prideposted 6 years ago in reply to this

My parents told me I was an alien from another planet. I certainly felt that way growing up as well, but it later made me stronger. It made me want to improve how the world saw me.

2. 0
      crmhaskeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

"It's your life, you have to live it - not me."  Although they've never been reticent in telling me when they don't like how I've chosen to live it tongue

2. Beelzedad profile image61

Another one was:

"Great smile, keep it up."  wink

3. Obscure Divine profile image61
    Obscure Divineposted 6 years ago

Damn, I wish I could add to this thread, but at that early age:
    I was too busy caught up in the matrix, trying to figure out how & why I landed on this insane, beautiful planet...  I'd say the nature of things that surrounds us, is the most influential, though.  big_smile

4. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 6 years ago

'Don't you dare go into the forums !' they said.

5. lanealanea profile image61
    lanealaneaposted 6 years ago

As a child growing up one of the most important things that my parents taught me was how "sports is a way of life." And, for me it stands true still.

6. earnestshub profile image88
    earnestshubposted 6 years ago

Bury your sh*t deep son, or the dogs will eat it! smile

7. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

The one I heard was, "You were fortunate enough to be born with a good head.  Don't muck it up."   (With alcohol - I guess.  Drugs weren't all that big a problem when I was a kid.)

The other biggie was:  "There's no crime in someone not being able to do something; but if you don't do something because you don't want to bother trying, that's a sin."  (Apparently, however, even that wasn't a crime - just a sin.  smile  )

8. 0
    Justine76posted 6 years ago

I learend from my parents and several teachers and authority type figures in churches what NOT to say to children. Things I say to my children every day. "I love you."  "Your important to me." "I care." 
    and "wash the dishes please."  wink

9. Rafini profile image80
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

The most important things came to me, not from my parents or teachers, but from Marlo Thomas.

We are Free to be, You and Me

10. Urbane Chaos profile image91
    Urbane Chaosposted 6 years ago

Growing up, my parents always told me that I was stupid.

Of course, by them saying that it lead me to believe that I wasn't the sharpest fry in the crayon box - or something like that.  But, it did motivate me, because I never wanted to be perceived like that.  Maybe it wasn't the right way to do things, but it worked.

11. Beelzedad profile image61

Great contributions everyone! Thanks!  smile

Urbane Chaos - you da man. smile

12. Jerami profile image77
    Jeramiposted 6 years ago

If ya "cain't" do nuthin about it; or Ya "ain't goina" do nuthin about it, ....   Why waste your time worrying about it.

One day I saw my grand father fixin something on his tractor..  I had watched my dad fixin the same piece on his tractor a few days earlier but went a diffrent way in fixin it.
      Smart "A" that I was, I ask...  "Which of ya are doin it wrong?
      He said; "If ya caint tell no difference when ya get dun. what diffrence does it make?"

13. mod2vint profile image68
    mod2vintposted 6 years ago

"If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all"
    That's the one my grandmother used on my sister and I almost daily!