jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

Buying Wine

1. FranyaBlue profile image79
    FranyaBlueposted 6 years ago

I have been given a project and I was hoping that the people of hubpages might be able to help. Again.

I need to know what the benefits are of buying wine online instead of from a shop.

This may seem obvious to some but I never buy wine at all so I don't have a clue.

Any input would be appreciated.

1. Obscurely Diverse profile image60
      Obscurely Diverseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Unfortunately, some states in the U.S. don't allow the purchase of wine online.  I don't know what the rules are for your country.  For example, I'll copy and paste a quote from a wine site:

"Many states prohibit out-of-state retailers from shipping wine to residents of their state. State laws on wine shipping are complex and under constant review, and we look forward to a day when all states open up to out-of-state retailers so we can offer you all our full assortment of products."

Yeah, this sucks for some, but I'm surrounded by liqueur stores, so I don't have to worry with it.  Plus, I don't drink much wine; I mainly like beer and vodka.  Cheers!

FranyaBlueposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, I didn't know that.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image90
      Jeff Berndtposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't know about advantages...I guess the others have already covered convenience and selection, and I can't think of any others.

But there are plenty of downsides.

Your wine is subject to what the snooty wine people call "bottle shock" while in transit. This is usually a temporary problem and once the wine has had a chance to "rest" (some hours to some days, depending on the variety) it'll be fine again.

Your wine is also subject to extremes in temperature, and rapid fluctuations thereof.

You also won't get to look at the bottle to see if there's any cork crumbs floating in the wine, or if the cork has dried out entirely from improper storage, etc.

Finally, you'll have to pay for shipping.

The best way to get wine, IMO, is to go to a place that sells inexpensive, high quality wines, like a Trader Joe's or an International Warehouse. Get the wines that cost less than $10. Heck, there are even really good ones that cost less than $5.

Price is not a reliable indicator of quality. Plus, you might not enjoy the same kind of wine I do. I could love a $3 bottle of Merlot, and hate a $25 one (this has happened). There might be a kind of wine that you won't like, regardless of how good it's meant to be. I never met a Muscat that I liked, for example.

With wine, as with anything, if you don't like it, it doesn't matter what the experts say. Drink other stuff until you find something you do like.

All of that "Oak-y finish with undertones of peat moss and cranberries" stuff is just a vocabulary so that people who are really into wine can have a common frame of reference when discussing it and comparing one wine with another. If you want to become a hobbyist, by all means learn it. It will enhance you enjoyment in the same way a knowledge of musical theory will enhance your enjoyment of a night at Boston Pops. But you don't need it to enjoy your wine.

Probably more information than you needed, but I hope it helps. :-)

Thanks for all that!

I have noticed that there would be more downside but I am writing an article for an online wine store, they are all about helping the small wine producers get noticed and to get their wines out there and I'm having trouble coming at it from the advantages point.....oh well i'll just have to fill it with some fluff and be a bit creative. smile

1. Jeff Berndt profile image90
          Jeff Berndtposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Oh, well, if you're thinking about small wineries, online is the only way to access most of them, unless you're willing to do a lot of traveling.

2. ThoughtfulSpot profile image82
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 6 years ago

If you ARE allowed to buy online, I'd say the advantages are simlar to that of any other online shopping experience... mostly being able to conveniently compare prices, and also have an increased selection.

If you shop at your local "state store" (that's what they mostly are here in Pennsylvania, USA - the state controls the majority of liquor sales, although its finally loosening up a bit) you are limited by whatever the store manager feels is an appropriate inventory.  Online, your choices are much wider.

Good point. Thanks.