jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (19 posts)

When was the last time you....

1. FranyaBlue profile image77
    FranyaBlueposted 6 years ago

did something that put you way out of your comfort zone..

Mine was: I had to stand up last week and do a public debate...I HATE public speaking and I was shaking like a leaf..I hated it and don't plan on doing it again. I had to do it as part of my degree course.

when was your last time and what was it?

1. Sab Oh profile image60
      Sab Ohposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Why do you hate public speaking?

FranyaBlueposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't really know.....I feel ok up until I am up there ready to start, then I just go all shaky and red faced and all that annoying stuff and it's just the most uncomfortable feeling.

Got any tips on staying calm?

1. travelespresso profile image84
          travelespressoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hello
          A great tip for staying calm or getting rid of those early nerves is (when you are in front of the audience), walk a little this way and that.  I'm amazed at how effective it is!

Of course you don't want to be like one key note speaker I saw once (a rich and famous one too) and stride relentlessly up and down the stage.  But, do try a little wander here and there.

I can imagine this one working for me....Thanks!

1. Wayne Orvisburg profile image77
              Wayne Orvisburgposted 6 years ago in reply to this

In my acting experience, I've learned deep slow breathing before helps. You get more oxygen in your blood and calms the nerves.

2. timorous profile image92
          timorousposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi Franya.

Deep, even breathing helps.  If you know your subject well, you'll have more confidence already.  You're letting your brain create the worst-case scenario, and worrying about making a fool of yourself.  Just keep telling yourself that you know at least as much as anyone else in the discussion.  You can do it...the power of positive thinking, etc.

3. Ange Stroup profile image61
          Ange Stroupposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I love speaking in public but am really bad with one on ones...one thing that helps is staying grounded and giving thanks to the earth for being there for you to stand on, holding you up, and not letting you fall. This way it takes a ton of pressure of your psyche to do all that work and allows you to focus on the task at hand. Wow...I just found this forum thingy and this is sure cool...I hope that helps Franyablue

2. Origin profile image60
      Originposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It's strange, public speaking doesn't bother me just as long as I can speak freely and not from cue cards. If it's from cue cards I get very nervous, but if it's like a debate or something where I can talk about anything I'm usually just fine.

3. Ange Stroup profile image61
      Ange Stroupposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I seem to have made a habit out of jumping out of my comfort zone on a fairly regular basis as of late. lol...Life is way too short to sit inside and hide so I'm coming all the way out and even going so far as to write it all down in a few places and in different formats. One will be a book when it's ready and that will, be the pinnacle.
      One thing I like to tell myself and others is to imagine a shell instead of a wall...you know like a turtle shell...or even a shield...something movable that you can pick up and use when you feel you need it and you can set it aside when you feel that you don't.
      This way you never FEEL vulnerable AND can be free to be you. I don't know if this is what you mean but it seems to be working really really well for me. Be Lifted!!

2. Origin profile image60
    Originposted 6 years ago

When I was laid off, lost my place, and moved into my parents. On top of that got a temporary job working overnight stocking shelves (going from engineering to stocking shelves). Ya, you can say I'm a bit outside my comfort zone on many levels. smile

Being laid off is horrible sad hope things brighten up for you.

3. FranyaBlue profile image77
    FranyaBlueposted 6 years ago

I'm off for a lecture but will catch up in an hour. smile

4. torimari profile image80
    torimariposted 6 years ago

When I did a temp stint as a collector...whether the folks deserve it or not, calling (harrassing) people for money up to 15x a day and making people cry with persistence was not too comfortable for me.

5. Greek One profile image79
    Greek Oneposted 6 years ago

one time, long ago, at band camp....

http://portal.unesco.org/culture/en/files/27840/11219614195flute3b.jpg/flute3b.jpg

Greek One...you always have something funny to say! smile

6. pisean282311 profile image58
    pisean282311posted 6 years ago

when i had to make sales calls..that was tough initially...

Yeah I can imagine....I had to go out and interview random people and collect a set of vox pops AND take pictures, which everyone hates but I pulled it off well and no one refused having their picture taken so it was all good smile

7. Rafini profile image86
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

I am stepping out of my comfort zone on a regular basis, lately.  (by overcoming depression - a good thing, but 'new' experiences on a daily basis gets kinda nerve wracking!!)  I'm stood up for myself at my job and quit, I fought for my unemployment by hiring an attorney & will go the next step and charge my ex-employer with discrimination, I quit smoking 5 weeks ago, I enrolled in Certificate classes at the local tech college, and many other minor things. (like smiling more and keeping a laugh hidden deep inside for when I need it)

As for your public speaking, I'd say deep breathing.  Take a few deep breaths with your eyes closed before you know your going to be called up, and then a few more as you walk up to the podium.  As your speaking, treat it like when your driving - 3 seconds and switch focus - and take those little walks suggested by travelespresso.   ---  I'm not an expert, just giving a suggestion. smile

(practice at home first with family for your audience, if possible)

working