Job Shadowing v. Internship - Have you job shadowed before?

1. girly_girl09 profile image80
    girly_girl09posted 6 years ago

I asked my college advisor tonight about setting up a volunteer legal position or some other activity to help build my legal experience resume this summer. She mentioned that I might want to consider job shadowing with a few criminal defense attorneys since that is the current type of law I am interested in.  I would go to court with them, sit in on interviews, etc.

I have done internships, but have never job shadowed anyone, nor have I really heard about job shadowing! It sort of sounds like a burden on the people I'd be following around. Based upon the info I found online, it seems that most job shadows occur on a one time basis, where as mine would be throughout the summer.

I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of this as opposed to a traditional internship where I sit in an office for 40 hours a week doing photocopying and filing (what I'd expect in a typical law firm!) So, at first glance, job shadowing seems appealing! I suppose my only qualm is that job shadowing is sort of just like "hanging out" and observing and there is no real structure.

Has anyone here had this experience (even if it was not in the legal field) and how was it? How would you say job shadowing varies from a traditional internship ?

1. SettleEstateLI profile image61
      SettleEstateLIposted 6 years ago in reply to this

If you are in the New York, Metropolitan area, can hook you up with a law firm internship that matches your location and area of interest.  Law firms are dying to work with you now because of the ever increasing cost of labor.  You will trade your effort to do some clerical tasks that they would  have otherwise had to pay salary for.  In return, you will receive on-the-job training and you will learn the inner workings of a law firm.

2. 0
    Precious Williamsposted 6 years ago

I can't comment on an internship, but I have done job shadowing in education and it is a great thing to do.  It shouldn't be a burden on the person you shadow.  One of the advantages is that you get to ask questions, or you have explained to you particular ways of working, almost instantly.  Job shadowing in the UK is common.  Good luck whatever you decide