jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (15 posts)

Think You Know What Race Your Ancestors Were? Think Again.

1. profile image0
    Will Bensonposted 7 years ago

A Science Magazine article about recent research findings, shows that between 1 and 4% of the genomes of people in Eurasia are derived from Neanderthals. No Neanderthal genes were discovered in participants of African ancestry.
    Do you find this unsettling? Why?

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/328/5979/710

1. Rafini profile image86
      Rafiniposted 7 years ago in reply to this

lol

No, I find this quite intersting, but am too tired to consider it tonite.

1. profile image0
        Will Bensonposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I agree. I think I'll get my bearskin and settle down by the fire.

2. profile image0
      LegendaryHeroposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Not really unsettling. I think its really interesting though. Thanks for sharing.

1. profile image0

You're welcome. I'm intrigued by the thought that they didn't disappear entirely after all.

Thanks for commenting.

3. NightEmpress profile image61
      NightEmpressposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I don't find it unsettling. I find it funny. Who cares ? In the end it's all about cells and genes. Human species are one of the millions of species living in the entire Universe. And I'm sure we're not The Best ! LOL

2. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 7 years ago

Do I find it unsettling? No. So explanation need, but I did want to Thank You for the laugh. smile

lol lol lol

1. profile image0

Maybe it happened on prom night.

1. Cagsil profile image60
        Cagsilposted 7 years ago in reply to this

What? You're maybe theory is a little far fetched, even for the imagination. And, I'm speaking about Prom Night, you so eloquently put out there for no rhyme or reason.

Like "Prom Night" was going to address your topic??? However, it does not. So, please do explain?

1. profile image0

I thought maybe you had a sense of humor.

3. salt profile image65
    saltposted 7 years ago

that explains most of the male population.

(couldnt resist.)

4. salt profile image65
    saltposted 7 years ago

Also, in the past it had often been stated that the aboriginal people of australia were possibly the oldest race on earth.

Suddenly, we are told we are all out of africa. Some of this may be a way to create a sense of us all being part of one big family, not different cultures, races and governments who have warred, killed and invaded...

1. profile image0

Isn't it ironic that the more we know about ourselves as humans, the more we find that we're all alike.

Maybe, as you said, this will add to the sense of us all being one big family.

...however, per your first post, it'll probably not influence the battle of the sexes. smile

1. salt profile image65
        saltposted 7 years ago in reply to this

i suppose what i was trying to say was that if we are not all from one place as they now say many europeans are of neandothal (spelling might be a little out here..)...The aboriginal or koori people of australia have a special and unique history and the out of africa opinion may take away from their own heritage.. as it might the american indians, who are said to come from ....?

1. CMHypno profile image90
          CMHypnoposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I think that you might be getting a little carried away. Tiny percentages of the human genome don't add up to a lot, all it means is that some part of the Neanderthal genetic code has been passed on through interbreeding to homo sapiens.  Homo sapiens who remained in Africa would not have interbred with Neanderthals, as there were no Neanderthal populations present in Africa.

Genetic differences between all humans are tiny, as are the genetic differences between humans and chimpanzees and gorillas. If for some reason you feel threatened by the fact that you may have Neanderthal genes, just remember that they actually had bigger brains than we do!

working