College Success and ADHD Teens

1. TransitionSuccess profile image60
    TransitionSuccessposted 6 years ago

I have always said that a college student without an academic planner is like a one-armed wallpaper-hanger.  How can you possibly/i> get the job done?

Every semester, without fail, I have a number of students who contend that assignment pads that worked in high school will suffice in college.  They fail to realize that the quantity, variety (i.e., papers, group projects, presentations, etc.), and speed at which assignments are given will require an organizational system with more capabilities than an assignment pad.

Can you identify with the following scenario?  You walk into class on Monday only to find out that a paper is due that totally slipped your mind.  I think all of us, at one time or another, have experienced such debacle, followed, of course, by that sinking feeling that this time we  really screwed up.

Organization plays a pivotal role in college success. Compared with high school, a college semester has far fewer tests--thus, fewer grades.  Since students are tested less often, exams cover considerably more material. Thus, each grade in college weight more heavily towards your final grade.  Students simply cannot afford to get a zero on a college assignment when there may only be three graded components during the semester.

The number of bright, capable students I have seen over the years who've done poorly due to disorganization is substantial. Learn to use an academic planner now, while still in high school. By the time you cross the college threshold, this organizational habit will be well-entrenched. Consequently, you will have an advantage over students who must first learn effective planning strategies.

2. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

Um, okay.  I don't see what this has to do with ADHD teens, though.

All of my children were given student planners beginning in 6th grade, the first was over 10 years ago.  I would think, by now, most high school graduates know how to use them IF all US middle schools and high schools use them.

3. 0
    crmhaskeposted 6 years ago

I think this depends very much on the person.  I have never kept an organizer in my entire life, yet have been very successful in everything I have endeavoured to do.  Throughout my entire undergraduate degree I wrote down not one due date or exam time, and missed nothing.

This thread has nothing to do with ADHD, but I do have this to say about the disorder.  They tried to diagnose me with it, but like a responsible parent my dad refused to put me on medication.

ADHD is lazy parenting, and teachers that do not know how to do their jobs.  The treatment for this authority created disorder is Ritalin.  Ritalin is essentially prescription cocaine.  It is not only habit forming, but it robs a child of their creativity, and expressiveness.  What does a child do when they turn 18, and are no longer able to be prescribed Ritalin?  They develop withdrawal symptoms resembling either an Anxiety, Panic or Mood disorder and are prescribed narcotics to control a condition they never would have had if their parents and/or teachers did their job properly.  The worst case scenario, you've directed your child into the world of illegal drugs.  Good job.