jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

The Best fighter plane during the World War I Dogfights

1. alphonsians93 profile image58
    alphonsians93posted 7 years ago

Which do you think is the best fighter planes during the first world I?  I am not sure with the Jasta, if you have something their in your mind can you share it out?

2. Randy Godwin profile image94
    Randy Godwinposted 7 years ago

Not for sure, but the tri-wing Fokker, when flown by the Baron Von Richthofen, was pretty good.  The French Neiuport and British Sopwith Camel models were also to be feared.

1. manlypoetryman profile image69
      manlypoetrymanposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Great Topic...but I'd have to brush up on Air battles of WW I to enter into it.

http://th06.deviantart.net/fs8/300W/i/2005/352/d/1/__Curse_you__Red_Baron___by_pooterjon.jpg

1. Randy Godwin profile image94
        Randy Godwinposted 7 years ago in reply to this

At a recent R/C airplane meet there was a life-size flying doghouse with Snoopy as the pilot.  It looked neat flying around the field while being attacked by the Red Baron!

1. manlypoetryman profile image69
          manlypoetrymanposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Actually? That is very cool! I would'a got'ta kick out of that.

They also had a flying push lawn mower and a full size witch on a broomstick.  The witch was especially cool looking as it flew around the field.

1. daryl2007 profile image56
              daryl2007posted 7 years ago in reply to this

very funny man... but do you know red baron?

Baron Von Richthofen?  Or the pizza?

3. Origin profile image60
    Originposted 7 years ago

I think the Tri-Wing was the best if I had to pick one, because from what I understand it had a lot of maneuverability. Also, this reminds me of playing the game called "Red Baron" over a decade ago, which took place during WWI.

1. profile image59
      esbuckposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The best German fighter, and  the most advanced, technically, was the Fokker D-VII.  It's performance, on only about 180 hp., was as good as any other fighter.  It was the only one that the Allies insisted should be turned over to them at the armistice; all others were destroyed.  There were several allied fighters which were comparable in performance to the D-VII, but they used about 400 hp to get it.  The Germans, foolishly, built only 6-cyl in-line engines and copies of French rotary engines (as in the Fokker triplane), which were limited by lack of suitable lubricating oil (castor oil).

working