jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

What is the most powerful Battleship during World War 2

1. daryl2007 profile image55
    daryl2007posted 6 years ago

I am a world war II historian and research so much about it. There were great ships during that second great war, but can you name one ship you think is best?

Let's start to my choice - German battleship Bismarck

What's yours?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

How about the "Mighty Mo"; USS Missouri?

2. supertaff profile image59
      supertaffposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I would have to go for the Yamato . Her armament in 1941 was : 9x18.1 inch Main guns ( the largest naval guns ever fitted to a battleship) , 12x6.1 inch , 12x5.0 inch , 24x0.98 inch & 4x0.52 inch anti-aircraft guns .
      In 1944/1945 she was re-fitted and re-armed , so her armament was 9x18.1 inch / 6x6.1 inch / 24x5.0 inch / 162x0.98 inch & 4x0.52 inch A.A. guns.
      It was a combination of poor decission-making by the Japanese Admiralty , lack of resources ( Fuel etc.) , Loss of air superiority , and America's ability to decipher Japanese codes that stunted her ability to perform to her maximum capability. Her sister ship , the Musashi , was also very impressive too.

2. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

USS New Jersey saw extensive action, not sure if it was the most powerful, but it was very instrumental in the Pacific theatre. (as I'm sure you already know.)

3. Origin profile image60
    Originposted 6 years ago

This is a pretty interesting one, the Yamato.

4. 69
    logic,commonsenseposted 6 years ago

I'd have to agree with the Bismarck, but I think the USS Iowa was right up there as well.  How about the Hood?

1. supertaff profile image59
      supertaffposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hood , although an impressive vessel , had been compromised in her design by the Admiralty . They had specified that they wanted her to be a fast
      Battle Cruiser , so armour was lightened to give her a top speed  in 1920 of 31 knots. When she was sunk by the Bismarck in 1941 , she  was over 20 years old but had been re-fitted , but her maximum speed then was 28 knots.
      Her armament was 4 turrets of 2x15 inch main guns / 7 x 2 QF 4 inch Mk.XVI anti-aircraft / 3 x 8 QF 2 pounder "pom-pom" anti-aircraft / 5 x 4 - 0.5 Vickers machine guns / 5 x 20 barrel "unrotated projectile" mounts / 4 x 21 inch above water torpedo tubes.