jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

Is online tutoring a boon or a disaster for college guys?

1. 61
    AlbertFrankposted 6 years ago

Hi guys, I have to ask one thing, is online tutoring a better option than regular tutoring for school, college and university students? Please provide a genuine answer. Thanks.....

1. chassett profile image61
      chassettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi, AlbertFrank. Do you mean doing the tutoring, or being tutored? Also, are you referring to the quality of tutoring or how much an on-line vs. in-person tutor gets paid?

I would also think the subject area might matter.

Thanks for the clarification.

2. Ben Evans profile image74
      Ben Evansposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think that the only problem that a person may have with online tutoring is to determine if the information is good.  I am assuming that it is suplimental to a formal education. 

I do think that you can learn online.  The only problem I have is that some services are charging quite a bit for tutoring which is all right as long as you are getting quality value.

There is a lot of free information also.  I would look there first.

3. maudiojazz profile image75
      maudiojazzposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Online tutoring is great for mathematics as long as everything is done step by step and the algebraic processes are not short cuts with steps left out. This is very helpful. Check out justmathtutoring.com. This guy in austin is awesome.

2. alternate poet profile image77
    alternate poetposted 6 years ago

From the high percentage of dropouts and so many apparently uneducated people who come out of the college system I would say that anything on-line is likely to get a better response, you could just link the tutorial directly to those who write the essays for them and save everyone loads of trouble.  Then you could link it up to the backdoor $100 Phd's that seem to be everywhere and you have a whole education system that is no bother to anyone.

3. Sab Oh profile image59
    Sab Ohposted 6 years ago

In-person is better but online can be quite effective as well.

4. Evan G Rogers profile image83
    Evan G Rogersposted 6 years ago

If you can get a highly marketable education for cheaper than $12k/year at a college... then I think mankind is progressing appropriately.

The only REAL questions are, is the education viable? Is it valuable? Is it a GOOD education?

5. ambersagen profile image88
    ambersagenposted 5 years ago

I prefer face to face tutoring simply because I know who I'm talking to and can get a sense of whether they know what they are talking about. Also, it can be helpful to have human things like hand gestures, facial expressions, and even just paper and pencil drawings to help the learning process.

6. Beth100 profile image83
    Beth100posted 5 years ago

From a tutor's side, I prefer face to face.  I can see in the eyes and body language if the student grasps the concepts or is simply nodding and saying yes.  I do a much better job when one on one or in a group but always face to face.  I also have better control on the examples that I use as well as the lesson as I am able to modify my lessons to streamline them with their school cirriculum.

From a student's point of view, on line is just as good as face to face.  In fact, probably better since I could get the tutor to answer every one of my homework questions.  I wouldn't need to do any work -- just copy what is being done for me. 

From a student's point of view who wants to learn and succeed -- face to face.  This provides the opportunity to ask the questions and have dedicated attention to problematic areas. 

Tutoring is more than just teaching the cirriculum.  It is a combination of concepts, study skills, time management skills and organization.  But mostly, it is the initiative of the student and the motivating factors that cause success between the two.

7. 60
    methiwposted 3 years ago

hi friends.. i m methiw..
    i think online tutoring is boon to everyone..thats why people prefer online tutoring.online we can get the best answer.. bcoz if student don't understand then they know how to make that situation easy by displaying/showing them diagrams.. and people also gives priority bcoz they provide service 24/7..that student can study anytime..me and my friends prefer acropolismentors. they are very good at their place.. they provide services globally.

8. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

Different people prefer different things. Anyone getting educational resources online needs to research the provider very carrfully