jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

How home places may shape identity

1. 59
    missqpeiposted 6 years ago

Hi all,

I am doing a survey on how one's identity may be shaped by different places.

Here's the link: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/N28HXSB

If you are interested in finding out more, please participate in the survey and contribute to this research.
    Your time, effort and patience is very very much appreicated!

Please feel free to drop by some comments and thoughts on this smile

1. kalixao profile image60
      kalixaoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Sure, your home environment shapes your identity, just as you shape your environment. Feng Shui enthusiasts are in total agreement, but there are other socially and culturally acknowledge practices that correlate to aligning the spiritual and virtual mind to the physical and material external environments.
      In my home, you won't find a closed or locked door very often. I don't feel safe unless the doors are open - the opposite of most people, I know. In my culture, leaving a door open to the east means we greet the sun and our lives with enthusiasm. We are ahead of our day, and in synch with it. Closing doors means keeping secrets. It's rude, paranoid, and uninviting. I don't worry someone might steal something - I have nothing that's that valuable. If they want broken cigarette lighters, old strands of fake pearls, and old Rolling Stone magazines, well, then, let them help themselves.
      Standing in contrast, I have friends in pseudo-mansions they spent all their lives working for - huge expansive, and largely unoccupied, areas stuffed with heavy permanent furnishings, thick rugs, double-paned glass sliding doors and security sashes at the sills. These people are only comfortable in a house like a fortress. They can't manage the outside world or outsiders. They are practically xenophobic, but they are comfortable and gracious in their massive burrows, like six-foot tall retired rodents: "house-proud town-mouse" mentality. Their homes are beautiful, but, I find myself running out to the patio constantly just for fresh air, away from the gloom and doom and foreboding walls and mausoleum-like atmosphere. It's excessive, an over-compensation on the part of small-souled people, and homes like this are a breeding ground for neurosis, in my experience. Although these types of homes are beautiful, as an embalmed corpse in a gilded coffin is beautiful, inside them, it feels like being buried alive.

1. msorensson profile image65
        msorenssonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Great answer, except for the things inside the home, I could have written it myself. It shocked me to clean my closets to find that at one time or another, I did buy clothes and shoes and never wore them...but that is all in the past....the physical cleansing was cathartic..on many levels.

2. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 6 years ago

Interesting survey.  Looking forward to the results.