jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Creativity---Man or beast?

1. A.Villarasa profile image77
    A.Villarasaposted 6 years ago

In a  discussion on another forum, I proposed that what separates humans from all the other animates on earth are his sentience, his volition, and his emotions. A fellow hubber  credited dolphins with the same trait, so I came to thinking, what else could possibly separate humans  from beasts.  Since man is arguably the most vain  in all of creation, what is more vain that the act of creating something. Man's sole ownership of this trait called creativity,  and all  that it implies,  could not only assuage man's construction (civilization) , but also accrues his destruction (E=mc2)

1. psycheskinner profile image80
      psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

I see animals who are pretty creative too.  Bower birds for example make specific works not basied on a uniform biological program, they seem to have an aesthetic sense for color and perspective (use of forced perspective).

1. A.Villarasa profile image77
        A.Villarasaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi psycheskinner:

Question is, do bower birds do this creative thing your are describing, with some awareness that in fact it is doing someting creative?

1. psycheskinner profile image80
          psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Not being a Bower bird, I don't know.  But I see no reason to assume they are not aware.  It is more logical to assume they are aware than that they are not because sentience causing creativity is a simpler explanation than non-sentience simulating creativity.  We certainly cannot assume they are not conscious as they have both the same basic brain structure and the same basic behavioral expressions of visual art that humans do.  Saying 'yes but we are still different even though there is no objective evidence of it' isn't very convincing to me.

working