jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (6 posts)

What was the driving force behind "civilisation"/modern living?

1. profile image0
    Baileybearposted 6 years ago

There was a huge difference in development in "civilisation" of say Europeans and  ndigenous cultures like Aborigines and America Indians.  What drove the development of "civilisation?" - population?  Living in a cold climate? 

It's amazing to note that until a few hundred years ago, some indigenous cultures had no trace of european influence - they lived off the land for thousands of years.

1. Abbasangel profile image81
      Abbasangelposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Ok, to the bolded question - the driving force behind modern living - is greed and keeping up with the "Jones"

And yes it is amazing how down to earth the Indigenous cultures were - amazing how it is so good for the environment, taking what we need, not getting what we need and more plus stuff to be honest we don't need.

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 6 years ago in reply to this

no, I'm curious to further back than that.  Why did parts of the world go thru an industrial revolution etc and others didn't?  Chance of finding sources of fuel? Some people try to say that "civilised" cultures are superior.
        I'm curious to what are the historical roots of some people inventing things etc

Ah, I see....

I think it is based on ideaologies and not due to superiorioty, for instance the Indiginous people in Australia, valued their connection to the land, they moved around from place to place as the land required and also what was in season. They built houses and shelters that were eco friendly level 10! Because they believed in land and protecting it and doing the right thing by it.

Where other ideologies are based more around conquest (which dates back all through Britan's and other European history), advancement (to know more, to get to places quicker, to kill more expediently.) and owning land.

1. profile image0
            Baileybearposted 6 years ago in reply to this

so essentially, the cultures that were less "advanced" technologically were more peaceful & content, and those that "progressed" were more aggressive & prone to have wars over land etc?  Earlier British history is medieval times?  What about prior to that?
            There were sophisticated cultures in Egypt and Rome at certain points of time too?
            I don't have much history background, and I'm curious to find out more - also the similarities between indigenous cultures.

I am just generalising... but I liked how you summed up what I said.

I do know that Egypt at certain points under different pharoh's dabbled in the slave trade.  Rome definitely did a lot of warring at one stage they nearly ruled all the way to Asia (can't quite remember where exactly.) I think mixed in with those cultures they valued the arts and making beautiful things, and watching people get eaten... Gladiators and the such .... around 10AD or whatever it is now.

I don't have much of history background either... no quals anyway... It is however very facinating and we can't stop repeating history if we don't know history.

working