jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (19 posts)

Stupid question about The Universe?

1. Jerami profile image77
    Jeramiposted 6 years ago

Hope this doesn't sound too childish.

I was just looking at a picture of our universe.
    It looked Very similar to an aerial photo of a hurricane,
    It seemed to have bands spiraling off from it as does a hurricane; and I was just wondering if some of the same principals  (centrifugal force,etc ?) applied to both?

Such as the speed of travel that our sun is said to be traveling around the milky way;  Does this take into account the speed in which the milky way seems to be rotating around the black hole.

Another question comes to mind.
       I noticed what looks like a few stars at the end of the outer ring.  Are they someday going to be ejected out the end, ejected out of our universe and away from the gravitational pull of the black hole?

1. melpor profile image91
      melporposted 6 years ago in reply to this

All the stars in the galaxy are slowly being pulled to the center. The stars on the edge do not go flying off into intergalactic space because they are all being pulled along with the other stars toward the center of the galaxy. No centrifugal force is involved here.

Jeramiposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You are probably right, I'm not argueing;  I do know that at the event horizon NOTHING can escape, ...   Kinda like being in a spoon headed for the mouth.
        and to look at the picture it appears as though everything within the milky way is trapped within its grasp, ...  sitting on the table like thanksgiving dinner.

And everything outside the milky way has a chance of not going to the chopping block.

It would seem to me that as things get farther away from the center of the black hole there would come a place that the rotation would maintain constant, and as we move farther away ..  a centrifugal force would enter into the equation. 

As I said before, I know nothing except for the way things appear to be (To me).

Certainly looks like a hurricane to me.
           But again, I don't know much about hurricanes either.

Forgot to say thanks for your info.   And I do not dispute it.

2. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 6 years ago

Jerami, quit drinking eggnog!

I'm trying to.  But I caint stop it.

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 6 years ago in reply to this

lol

It's 9:18 AM  No eggnog yet,  I wonder if someone ground something up and put it in my coffee?  (like brownies)

Hmmm   Maybe I'll try that?

2. profile image0
          klarawieckposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Those brownies are very popular in Morocco!

3. getitrite profile image80
    getitriteposted 6 years ago

Jerami, do you mean universe or galaxy?

I guess Galaxy,  the thing with the milky way in the middle of it.

4. profile image69
    logic,commonsenseposted 6 years ago

Did you see the report that some scientists think they have found evidence of other universes?

No I haven't seen it. I haven't done any research in this field.
        I have heard a few times that there are many,  I wonder if they each have a black hole in the center of them?

1. profile image69
        logic,commonsenseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

If you go to space.com you will find lots of info about and pics of black holes..

Also found out the higher elevation residents age faster than those closer to sea level.

Thanks for that suggestion,  I will do that.

I'm still worried about those stars sitting way out there at the end of the outer band of our galaxy.
            Hope they can hold on.  Ha.Ha.

5. profile image69
    logic,commonsenseposted 6 years ago

I just hope the gigantic black holes that are headed towards us are wiped before they get here!smile

I think I have enough time to go to work (in a few minutes)  and get back home before it gets here.
      HA.
         Back Atcha later.

6. skyfire profile image70
    skyfireposted 6 years ago

Picture of universe ? yikes

How you got picture of universe from the position which is 0.000001% part of it ? I guess you mean M21 or some another galaxy which is likely to be photographed from satellites. neutral

7. skyfire profile image70
    skyfireposted 6 years ago

Spiral galaxy ?

http://mail.colonial.net/~hkaiter/astronomyimagesB/spiral-galaxy.jpg

Yep.  that looks like the pic. I was talking about.

I don't know but it looks to me like the center is spinning kinda like a hurricane.
         And at some point between the center nearest the black hole and the end of the outer band, there is a transition from gravitational pull and centrifugal force. Kinda like the stars out at the end of the spirals might even be getting thrown away from the milky way.
         But I guess the opposite is true.

Is every star in this picture eventually going to be pulled into the black hole?

I guess I oughta go read the link that logic,commonsense suggested, and quit asking stupid questions.
         I can't compare this as having any similarities to a hurricane huh?

working