jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

A Musicologist is someone who....

1. Rafini profile image87
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

A musicologist is someone who has a knowledge of language and a knowledge of music history, and writes about music.

So...Is a musicologist a musician?

Rafiniposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I guess I should have stated my stance first, lol.

No, I don't think a musicologist is a musician.  A musician is someone who participates in the creative process of music or performance of music.

2. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think there are different fields of musicology. I'm sure many are musicians but those who focus on how music differs with cultures and it's historical influence may not all be musicians.
      There's a difference between being a musician and someone who plays piano every now and then.

How's your class coming along?

I'm actually debating musicologist with the instructor, lol.  (that came after this post - previously he'd only asked me to clarify)

I went to my first concert last night, it was called Strike with Jeffery Meyer on Piano and Paul Vaillancourt on Percussion. 

Quite interesting!!  It wasn't like any music I'd ever heard before!!  lol  But the instructor said it qualifies as Classical Music.  I took pages and pages of notes but have no idea how to describe what I heard!  Other than saying the pianist reached in and plucked the piano wires, at times. lol

It's certainly going to be an interesting semester.  smile

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago

...some could be if they are also a musician...i'm sure there are some that do not play anything...for those that don't play - i wouldn't consider them a musician...

me neither. smile

3. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 6 years ago

That person started the medical college because his parents wanted him to become an oncologist. But he loved music better, so he went to study music instead... and became musicologist. big_smile

big_smile lol big_smile   Love it!

working