jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

1. AskAshlie3433 profile image60
    AskAshlie3433posted 5 years ago

Explain why we have advanced so much in 100 years and in the other 1900, why didn't they? I will tell you. Aliens!!!!

1. Lisa HW profile image84
      Lisa HWposted 5 years ago in reply to this

..and who knows how advanced we'll be once the next giant batch of aliens lands in - where else - a New Mexico desert..    smile

2. Rafini profile image81
      Rafiniposted 5 years ago in reply to this

um, I thought it was a question for me....lol

3. RDSPhD profile image79
      RDSPhDposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There's a mathematical equation that calculates how long it takes for a civilization to double it's knowledge. This number is decreasing in a strongly exponential manner (i.e. in about 20 years we could double our knowledge in a yearly manner while you are correct that it took about 2000 years to double the knowledge until the 20th century).  The 20th century was only the beginning wink But this doesn't necessary link to Aliens wink. In fact it's a normal characteristic of an intelligent species. Another point is that the population of a species is not related to this knowledge-growing process. In contrast! Mankind is actually loosing intelligence if you look at it per capita.
      You could argue that the Middle Ages were a complete throwback for mankind, this is true if you consider the potential that several cultures of the ancient world had. But then again these cultures themselves were responsible for being erased by forcing an accelerated growth of their territories and restricting all their knowledge to a certain aristocracy while letting the public do simple work.

2. Shadesbreath profile image89
    Shadesbreathposted 5 years ago

You guys are ignoring at least 8,000 years of growth, and I could make an argument for another 100,000 but won't.