Could the Yellowstone Super-Volcano Be Getting Ready to Erupt?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (26 posts)
  1. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Super-volcano has been rising at record rates since 2004, so could it erupt again in our lifetimes?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ … ds-US.html

1. profile image57
      TajSinghposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hope that it doesn't. It will be catastrophic according to that report 2/3 of the U.S. could become uninhabitable if it does errupt.

CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that if it did erupt like this, life as we know it would cease across the planet

The human race likes to think that it is in control, but we are still relatively powerless against the forces of nature

1. Haunty profile image75
          Hauntyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How gruesome is that! We could be erased any time by a single super-vulcano.

2. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Time for Theories ... and Hollywood versions of Possibilities is up ... you can calculate, the Exact Time, and Quantum of the Yellowstone caldera going up in smithereens ... see the Way, shown, elsewhere, in this forum.

2. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

Maybe we could convince all the fundies that the rumbling and bubbling noises that will likely precede the bang is their lordy calling them to come to him.

3. melpor profile image90
    melporposted 13 years ago

It will eventually erupt one day but no one does not know when it will happen and how much devastation it will cause. It is bulging like other volcanoes have done in past before they erupt and when the telltale signs begin to increase in frequency we will probably have plenty of time to evacuate the region. Scientist already said the devastation will probably be confined mostly in the yellowstone region but the world will experience some effect from the eruption when it happen.

4. profile image0
    The Quiz Masterposted 13 years ago

It looks like it is getting ready to erupt and when it does it will kill everyone in the west of the U.S almost immediately. Then it will cover the whole atmosphere in ash for 3 to 4 years blocking out the sun.
    90% of the population of Earth will perish.
    Many countries have already built deep underground shelters which can hold millions of people. They have already stockpiled grain for such a catastrophe.
    I read a very interesting article by a scientist about a planet called Nibiru which is due to fly by in 2012 as part of it's 3,600 year orbit through our solar system. It is 4-5 times the size of Earth and aparantly it's gravitational pull may set off many volcanos here including Yellowstone.
    The U.S, Europe and Japanese space agencys all have infra-red telescopes pointed at it but they are keeping it a secret, obviously.
    I hope what I read is wrong, I really do. But I can tell you now, I'm starting to stock up on tins just in case.
    Did you know the poles are about to shift too?
    Did you know our solar system is going to pass through the plane of our galaxy in 2012 also?
    Good luck human kind!

1. uncorrectedvision profile image59
      uncorrectedvisionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well so much for Global Warming or Lex Luthor's plans for the Nevada coast line.

2. profile image50
      fearreliefposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The mayan calender just wasnt finished. The mayans were killed when they were writing down dec. 21 2012.

3. Daniel Carter profile image63
      Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think stockpiling food and digging a hole to live in for 4 years is a good answer. If that's my lot, I'd rather be taken out in the first round, quickly.

Further, I don't subscribe much to doomsday anything. Sure there are changes in the earth and solar system. It's been happening for billions of years. But what's the point in living the rest of your life in fear that something catastrophic will happen, or that God will come back and hate you because you lived a horrible life, or anything else like these things.

If you're not living a good life now, it's probably past time to start doing something about it. But that shouldn't stop anyone from doing something good for themselves and others, regardless of how long you have before your bout with cancer, heart attack, floods, or anything else that kills us.

I had a wonderful friend who lived a marvelous life.

But he died anyway.

And so it is for all.

5. profile image0
    The Quiz Masterposted 13 years ago

All I'm going to say now is this.

Keep an eye on the volcanos, if there are suddenly lots of eruptions in the next 12 months start digging and stock piling long life food. The governments only have shelter for 10% of the population.

DON'T PANIC!

6. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

It would definitely be a life changer, especially in the Western Hemisphere.

7. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Well if it does erupt it will be Bush's fault. wink

1. manlypoetryman profile image77
      manlypoetrymanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol...now Sarah Palin's name can be added to the scapegoat list...as well. Al Gore can just sit around and say..."I told you so!"

1. Flightkeeper profile image66
        Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Al Gore roll first it was the ice age coming, then global warming, then climate change.  How a bunch of leftidiots follows that money-hungry loser is a mystery to me.  But he's getting rich on all of it so he really is smart after all.

1. manlypoetryman profile image77
          manlypoetrymanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love how everything can be explained by "Global Warming"...in due course. We have a drought: Global Warming. We are buried up to our necks in Snow: Global Warming. We are having a mild Spring: Global Warming. I don't feel good: Global Warming. I lost my dog: Global Warming. The fish aren't biting: Global Warming.

1. Flightkeeper profile image66
            Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, it's funny how they replaced God with Global Warming big_smile  And they say they're not religious!

8. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

Just another thought:
    If Yellowstone blows, the Rapture might be turned to the Rupture.

Just sayin'.

LOL! Hellfire brought to earth even! I was always under the impression that the main event and fun for those who believe in the rapture was the chance of watching those left behind on earth (eg me!)being heckled by 12 plagues and the odd nuclear war.  What a disappointment if the super volcano turns out to be a non-discriminatory affair and that we all get tickets to the show and devastation regardless of our religious beliefs

9. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I recently read an article in National Geographic about the volcano and it's cyclical rising. It takes 'breaths' which cause a natural inflation and then a gradual deflation.
    The article is very recent, just a couple of weeks ago.
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news … a-science/

as far as living underground, no thanks, unless there are some really great looking, friendly hobbits who can take me to middle earth. big_smile

10. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

"Could the Yellowstone Super-Volcano Be Getting Ready to Erupt?"

Why not? All the other ones are. smile

11. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 13 years ago

What's the point in doing all the things I'm doing right now if we're going to be anihilated in less than two years. I may as well stop caring about my health, get myself a huge, huge bank loan, and have a fantastic time until it all ends.
    On the other hand, where will that leave me if Yellowstone doesn't errupt after all?

Isn't life all about the balance between preparing for tomorrow and living for today? Volcano, war or being run over by a bus - none of us know what tomorrow will bring. May as well pour me another glass of wine then!

1. camlo profile image84
        camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah - I'll drink to that, CMHypno. smile

White or red? Or maybe some fizz? smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)