Should we really have the police in schools?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Victoria Stephens profile image73
    Victoria Stephensposted 13 years ago

All the local schools in my area have police officers that stay at school all day on duty.

Are schools becoming more like prisons or is it a good idea?
    Do you think it affect the kids in anyway?

1. No_Clue profile image64
      No_Clueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In today's world, I think its a sad necessity. It is commonplace for weapons of all kinds to show up at school. In eighth grade, my youngest son wanted to carry a switchblade on him, for protection, because one of his classmates showed up at school with a gun...how sad is that! And that was nearly ten years ago. Police at school...I vote yes!

1. No_Clue profile image64
        No_Clueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

an addendum...I confiscated the switch blade which I found in his drawer.

2. Victoria Stephens profile image73
        Victoria Stephensposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah it's a bit worrying when you hear things like that. It's a shame any of the kids think of terms of needing a gun or a knife and other such things.  Makes me sonder where the world is heading over the next 10 years.xxx

2. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can't think of a reason why not.

Qwark

It just seems harsh but in todays world, I guess it's really just me being nieve! xxx

1. qwark profile image60
          qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Victoria:
          If you don't make a big deal of it, neither will your child.
          ...and your child might like seeing a "nice" policeman on campus.
          The "cop" has to be one who loves and respects kids if he is to gain the respect and love of the kids!
          If it was the school my kid was going to, I'd wanna meet the cops!
          Qwark

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's a complete and utter failure of the populace to recognize the cause of problems, like school violence, that cause such obscene solutions as criminalizing a larger percentage of the populace than any nation on Earth, and putting police officers in schools.  We've a cancerous, corrosive, and completely monopolized media in the United States of America, and over a course of years, they've cooked their frog.

Frog cooking????  You can put a frog into room temp water, and bring that water slowly to boil, and cook a frog.  If you throw a frog into very hot water, he'll jump out, and be a very pissed off frog.

Jeeze poor frog!  It is a strange world we live in.xxx

4. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't really think a lot of kids would see having police around school as "like prison".  The tough-nut kids who bring knives are likely to see the police as "prison guards", but I don't think decent kids who aren't going to make trouble for anyone else would (because they know they don't plan to do anything the police would try stop).  If the school is rough enough that someone brought in police, I'd imagine a lot of kids may actually kind of be glad they're there.  Or, if someone has reason to think there could be a security threat at the school, I'm not sure most would see having police there to watch them, rather than to watch out for someone else who may attack the school.

After 911 my kids' high school had a performance.  It's a nice school in a generally nice town, and there aren't usually police there.  That night, though, they had a bunch of police standing around.  Apparently, someone was worried about the same kind of thing everyone else was.   Most people saw it as "just a precaution" and ignored the fact that police were around.  There weren't police at future performances.

When I was in elementary school we had "Jack, the policeman" (a traffic cop) help us cross the street every day.  We saw him as a pleasant guy who was there to keep us safe.  Young kids often see police as people who keep other people safe (unless adults color their view of them).

I hadn't thought much about it from the kid’s point of view and the fact that they would see it as someone watching out for them.  We do live in a rough area where knives, guns and murders are quite common so I can see the benefit of police in schools. 

It's just strange for me as I originally grew up somewhere else and we could play in the next field at break time and not lock up front doors etc.  I don't suppose it's like that anywhere now.

Very nice input and point of view, thank you for taking the time.xxx

2. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

It is a sad situation that cops are required at or around schools for their protection. I wouldn't see it as a prison.
    Bullied kids might have a safe haven if a cop was near.
    Drug dealers will use kids to target other kids in schools.
    Pedophiles less likely to come on campus with cops around.
    Weapons on school campuses.

There certainly seems an awful lot of good reasons for having police around the place when you word it like that.  That's the cold harsh reality of it though.xxx

2. Victoria Stephens profile image73

There certainly seems an awful lot of good reasons for having police around the place when you word it like that.  That's the cold harsh reality of it though.xxx

3. Me, Steve Walters profile image80
    Me, Steve Waltersposted 13 years ago

Yep...if it deters even one school shooting it is worth it. No child should have to fear for their life while in school. The money invested in every school having at least one officer in place would be a wise investment. Ultimately that would mean us being taxed for this...but I'd gladly pay my District for that expense over building elite Stadiums. 

Don't look at it as a prisoned police state mentality thing. Look at it as beefing-up Security to keep every child safe. Put the blame on the cowards that shot-up their fellow classmates and school staff. If there is a way to prevent or slow that down...we should do it!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)